Kaymer moves into early second round lead
Martin Kaymer amazed himself by taking a two stroke lead midway through the second round of the CASTELLÓ MASTERS Costa Azahar.
The 24 year old German has not played since breaking toes in a go-kart crash in August - and only began full practice when he arrived in Spain this week.
Four under par after 12 holes when play was called off last night - there had been an earlier three-hour stoppage for high winds - Kaymer first matched the eight under opening 63 of defending champion Sergio Garcia.
"I was never expecting under 70 to be honest," he said. "I didn't know what I could expect, but I'm really enjoying playing golf - just to be there and see the other guys."
Back on the course soon afterwards as the tournament on Garcia's home course tried to make up lost time, Kaymer bogeyed the short 12th, but then added three more birdies in the next four holes.
He was ten under par, while Garcia, one of the late starters unlikely to finish their rounds tonight, had been joined on eight under by Swede Peter Hanson and Australian Robert Allenby.
Hanson made a late decision to play the event and is also on stand-by if Kaymer feels unable to play next week's Volvo World Match Play.
Top of The Race to Dubai when the accident happened in Arizona, Kaymer has since dropped to third behind Rory McIlroy and new leader Lee Westwood - but he could go straight back to the top by winning on Sunday.
After Angel Cabrera's disqualification for missing his opening round tee-off time - he had been delayed en route from the Grand Slam in Bermuda - England's Chris Wood was forced to withdraw after twisting his ankle in a fall down the clubhouse steps.
"I misjudged the last step and fell awkwardly," he told European Tour radio. "I hit balls last night, but after going back to the hotel I couldn't put any pressure on it.
"It's better this morning, but not good enough to carry on. I'll have an MRI scan in Bristol when I get back and hopefully I can still go to Singapore next week."