Golf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a slightly tougher question - who is/was your favorite golfer of all time and why? You don't have to limit yourself to anyone playing today - it can be a golfer who has passed away or even someone who never made it to fame and fortune but played a heck of a game.

I'll start with mine ...

Payne Stewart. I realize he wasn't a golfer who made the most money or won the most tours, but I think he would still be a strong force in the golf world if he were alive. He brought a sense of fun to the game with his plus-fours and tam that became his signature wear that it needed. A pleasure to watch his swing.

Of course, I still remember the day his plane went down. I lived in Minnesota then and we followed the course of the plane on the news until it ran out of fuel and crashed in South Dakota. For a time, it looked as if it might go down close to where I lived. What a loss for the golf world.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Gotta be Tiger Woods for me :) I also really liked Nick Faldo when I was younger :) Probably because he was one of the most famous British golfers at the time :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
sparky said:
Gotta be Tiger Woods for me :) I also really liked Nick Faldo when I was younger :) Probably because he was one of the most famous British golfers at the time :)
I'd be inclined to agree with Nick Faldo - seeing as he was a local lad and learned the game about an hour or so from me.

After reading his autobiography - life swings - I actually found him to be a very funny decent man. Its very easy to label someone who you see on the tv.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Bobby Jones
Ben Hogan
Ken Venturi
It is so much fun just to watch those guys swing!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Current - Tiger Woods, and Mike Weir
All Time - Greg Norman. When I was a kid my dad was a huge Norman fan and I remember watching him play and my dad cheering for him. My dad actually still has a really nice painting in his house of Norman standing with his back towards you looking at the green.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think that I will have to go with Ernie Else on this one, I also like watching Ratief Goosen play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tom watson for me.......known as maybe the best tee to green player ever. needless to say his putter let him down more times than not.

tiger might have been chasing watsons major record (what if) instead of jack if he could have only been able to putt better as he matured.

not asked, but i'll give it......least favorite player: johnny miller. i'm not a big fan of arrogance:thumbsdown: .

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont like tiger that much, hes too popular. i hate popular people/teams in sports, like i hate the yankees, i hate the lakers. etc!!

like everyone likes them and no one else, its no fun

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
It's hard to pick one because I grew up in the era of Arnie and the rise of Jack. There were a lot of great players and personalities then.

Over the long run, a tie. For the quality of game and the quality of person they have always been, I guess I'd have to go with Bobby Jones, Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson.

In the back of my mind... the late Tona Lema, the modern man with the style and class of Jones and Hagen. Hogan for his intensity. Sifford and Elder for standing up for what was right. Crenshaw and Trevino for never letting us forget that in the end, it's a game.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Phil Mickelson very nice guy

gave me game used autographed glove :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts