Golf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your humble opinion, what is the # 1 ball on the market? Regardless of price.
If I told Ill give you a dozen balls free of charge whats your pick and why?

I have been out of the game for about 7 years and just started playing again recently. Ive been hitting the maxfli Noodle. It seems to be a pretty good ball for the money ($12-$14/doz.) but I cant say its the best. its just in my price range. I saw The Srixon balls for $40+ a dozen:eek: Ive never ever heard of those balls. In fact i picked one up on the course last week and gave it to my 5 year old to play with because i thought it was a cheap ball.

Thanks for your input and opinions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My personal favorite is the Hogan Hawk. I was told it was designed by the guy who designed the Pro V1, but it's only $40/dozen (only). I am a 2 handicap right now, 37 years old, and I had 2 points in my golf life where I had drastic improvement. The first was at age 19 when I got my first membership and played 130 rounds of golf that summer. The second was when I started playing the same ball, all the time. I used to be a cheapskate and only play what I found, but now I play the Hawk all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Whichever Titleist fits your game best. I just feel over the long haul, the Titleists have been more consistant.

·
Registered
40 Posts
nike one platinums/ hogan tour deep/ pro v1 are tied for the best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Titleist proV1's, Callaway HX Tour/HX Tour 56's, and Nike Ones are the best 3 balls on the market.

·
Registered
316 Posts
really the only difference is the inside one of them is made with a softer core for more spin likewise the other is a harder core for more roll for more distance so depends if your looking for distance or spin.l

·
Registered
482 Posts
Whats the differance between the pro v1 391 and 331?
really the only difference is the inside one of them is made with a softer core for more spin likewise the other is a harder core for more roll for more distance so depends if your looking for distance or spin.l
All that tells you is the number of dimples. Compression numbers tell you how hard or soft they feel. Lower compression=harder.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is no one best ball for everyone, but give me a dozen free Nike One Platinum number 3's, and I'll be one happy human! :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
1.Titleist Pro V1-ulitimate spin, ok distance
2.Callaway HX tour 56-great spin, ok distance
3.Nike One Platinum-If it is good enough for Tiger it's good enough for me!

·
Registered
163 Posts
For me its the titleist Pro V1X because I spin the regular one too much and the X gives me a more consistant ball flight

·
Registered
464 Posts
HX tour/56 and the Hogan Hawk and pro v 1

·
Registered
464 Posts
Noodles are good for practise rounds...i have a few in my bag whenever i play.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You guys are all missing something important here when it comes to the best ball in golf.
The best ball in golf is the ball that is best suited for your game. Not the game of a PGA Pro.
Did you know that the PRO V 1X needs a swingspeed of over 100MPH to properly compress that ball? If you do not have that swingspeed then you are giving up distance off the tee, off your irons too.
So there is no "BEST BALL" in golf. There is the #1 Ball in Golf, Titleist. However that might not include you.
My suggestion, after golfing for 25 years. Try different brands of balls, find one you like and stick with it. Every round you play use the same ball. You will come to know the yardages you hit it with your irons. That is the bottom line. You have to know that when faced with a 150 yard carry over water that ball you are using will carry that far with an 8 iron, or whatever iron you need for that distance.
Once you learn that, your scores will drop.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Golfbum makes too much sense. Let's change his name to Golfpro.

G'bum's right though. The question is, how do you KNOW which ball is right for you? Some people will want more distance and unfortunately, let that be their only criteria. We have been pretty well brainwashed with the advertising over the years to hear which ball is longer. When's the last time you heard a ball manufacturer say, "We're not the longest ball in golf, but we land in the fairway 18% more of the time!"?

·
Registered
800 Posts
DennisM said:
"We're not the longest ball in golf, but we land in the fairway 18% more of the time!"?
Come on Dennis, where is the fun in that? :)

All golfers want to hit 350 yard drives and have their mates standing near them going "Whoa!!", its irrelevant to them that they have just put the ball deep in the jungle or out of bounds, or my all time favourite, sent it down a duel carrigeway (maybe a freeway to you guys).

In all seriousness, everyone has their own opinion on what is the best ball, Golfbum makes some very valid points - you need to be playing with the same ball all year around to see consistant results. Otherwise, read golfbums post three more times as punishment for being naughty children!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts