Golf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you all help me out here and give me your opinions on the best driver(s) on the market.

At the moment, I am planning on looking at the R7 425 tp, 905R, Nike SQ, Ping G5.

I need to have a decent shaft, minimum of the 757 speeder S Shaft, but anything goes.

I am looking for a larger driver as mine the 983K is under 400cc AFAIK, and after hitting the larger driver over the weekend was impressed at the forgiveness it offered.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All the other drivers I have had have not compared to my Big Bertha 454. I find it extremely forgiving and most importantly I can really wallop the ball with it. I'd give it a look...anyone I have ever let hit it have really liked it also...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Homeless said:
All the other drivers I have had have not compared to my Big Bertha 454. I find it extremely forgiving and most importantly I can really wallop the ball with it. I'd give it a look...anyone I have ever let hit it have really liked it also...
I was an avid fan of the Callaway range prior to changing to the titleist, I would definately take a look at them again when it comes to opening my piggy bank :) thanks for the input.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SLICE said:
I just ordered the Nike SQ, thing is sick!:thumbsup:

I must admit, I was very impressed.

I am playing with the same guy this weekend so I may try and hit a couple more with his. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know if you have the options over in the UK that we do here in the States but if you can find yourself one of the large golf stores that has a launch monitor and stocks the clubs you have in mind...I would go demo them on the monitor and see what sort of results you get. For me, I have found that the shaft in my driver is as important as the head itself. Problem we face today, all of these manufacturers give us so many shaft options and honestly most of us don't know which shaft does what or is best for us. JMHO you understand. :)

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Depending what you want, places like Edwin Watts or TGW.com have pretty good reputations.

As far as good drivers, I'd recommend the Taylormade r540XD as one with a large forgiving head, but not too much face height. If you ever want to punch something off a low tee, the face is shallow enough. If you want to tee it high and pound something, it's not too shallow to worry about missing it. I can even hit it off the fairway, albeit with a cut, but I sure can't do that with my deep face drivers.

I've hit damn near everything Taylor makes and personally, I don't think anything newer has improved on the r7 Quad as far as that moveable weight technology. They are going for less than $200 now and they're a good value at that price. The screwy thing is though, the weights are about $14 each! They come with two heavy weights and two light weights, but there are all sorts of heavier weight selections available for you to spend your hard earned dollars on.

I've got a couple Callaway drivers here too, one an 11 degree Big Bertah II and the other a 9.5 degree Big Bertha II Pro. I honestly don't know why one is "Pro" and the other one isn't, because they are identical as far as the head is concerned. These drivers are very easy to hit, very straight, but not anywhere near as long as the Taylormades. If you can afford to give up a few yards in favor of control, these Callaway Bertha drivers are incredible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts