Golf Forum banner

Butterfield and Colsaerts share Dutch lead

683 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  truebluefan 
#1 ·
Andrew Butterfield and Nicolas Colsaerts are one stroke clear of the chasing pack at the halfway mark of the Dutch Futures after firing rounds of 67 and 66 respectively at Golf Club Houtrak.

Englishman Butterfield eagled the last hole to set the clubhouse target of nine under par 135 which was matched by Belgian Colsaerts, who also had an eagle on the 13th hole.

Both players have only dropped one shot in 36 holes in The Netherlands – Butterfield’s bogey coming in his first round while the blot on Colsaerts card came on the second hole – his 13th after starting on the tenth tee- of his second round.

Having each won once already in 2009 – Butterfield at The Princess in Sweden and Colsaerts at last month’s SK Golf Challenge in Finland – the pair are confident of their chances going into the weekend.

Butterfield, who is currently second in the European Challenge Tour Rankings, was in fine form with the putter in Halfweg, also holing a 30ft birdie putt on the 16th hole to add to earlier birdies on the second and eighth holes before the crucial eagle on the 18th.

The 37 year old finished tied sixth last year and he said his liking of the greens at Golf Club Houtrak – and a little help from his caddie who shares a famous name – were key to his round.

“The greens here are very true and I’ve been putting very well,” he said. “I only missed six greens today and when I did I got up and down well. I’ve got a South African caddie called Elvis this week who has been helping me read the greens and it is working well.

“The eagle putt on the 18th seemed to teeter on the edge for ages before going in. It was a great way to finish – I would have been on a high even if I had birdied that hole. I’ve been playing really well – I’ve only dropped one shot so far and didn’t even drop one in the Pro-Am so I’m delighted.”

After five top five finishes this season, including his maiden victory in The Princess, Butterfield has effectively already sealed his European Tour card for 2010 but he is determined to press ahead and enjoy a strong finish to the campaign with the pressure off.

“Top ten was my goal at the start of the year to ensure I wouldn’t be re-ranked and would get more starts next year on The European Tour but now I want to get into the top five,” he said.

“My goals have changed and I want to push on. Next season will come round quickly and you want to keep up the momentum. A win here would reaffirm that I’m playing well.”

Colsaerts is also in a fine run of form, following his victory in Finland, with back-to-back top ten finishes, which he attributes to a new found patience on the course.
He said: “Even though I’ve made a few mistakes out there I’ve only made one bogey in two rounds. I left a few chances out there but I’m happy with my score.

“I’m playing very steady – yesterday I started with six straight pars and in the past I would have reacted and gone for it more but I’m staying patient.”

The leaders are one stroke clear of France’s Christophe Brazillier, overnight leader Ben Mason of England and Spaniard Carl Suneson, with Challenge Tour Rankings leader Edoardo Molinari also in contention a further shot back.

Mason, who started the day with a two stroke advantage, once again produced a string of birdies – six altogether – but a triple bogey eight on the eighth hole, added to two bogeys, meant he signed for a round of 71 for a share of third with Suneson and Brazillier, who both carded rounds of 69.

Molinari, who leads the Rankings by €21,652 from Butterfield, kept in touch with his rival for the Challenge Tour Number One spot by finishing his round with back-to-back birdies and fired an ominous warning.

“I’m finally putting well – I feel like I’ve be struggling all season with the putter,” said the Italian. “If I can play well here and in Kazakhstan that would be ideal as I will keep the gap between me and the second place guy.

“I’ve been playing well all year but my putting feels better and I like my chances here this week.”

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.