Golf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I spent too much time at the driving range trying to figure out how to swing a hybrid. In the flux between swinging it like an iron and swinging it like a wood, I think I may have managed to fracture a rib or two. The pain is excruciating and I'll see a doctor today. Have any of you done this? If so, do you have any idea how long I'll be out? I live in Wisconsin and I've waited 6 months to get back out there. Jeepers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Captain_Hack said:
Ok, I spent too much time at the driving range trying to figure out how to swing a hybrid. In the flux between swinging it like an iron and swinging it like a wood, I think I may have managed to fracture a rib or two. The pain is excruciating and I'll see a doctor today. Have any of you done this? If so, do you have any idea how long I'll be out? I live in Wisconsin and I've waited 6 months to get back out there. Jeepers.
Ouch! I don't think people realize how easy it is to crack a rib with exertion. When I get a bad cold, if I'm coughing a lot, I'll do the same thing. Then it hurts so much to breathe, much less cough, that my cold usually gets worse into bronchitis. Wicked circle. It'll probably be a few weeks before you're feeling up to taking a golf swing again, but your doctor will give you the nitty gritty when you see him. Ask him when you can get back on the course and see what he says. A lot of doctors golf, so he'll be sympathetic.

As for the hybrid swing, were you trying to do a complete shoulder turn on your backswing as you would for an iron? If so, with the hybrid you don't need to do this and it will still get you more length and less shock back. I think if you play it more like a wood and forget about the iron, you might get the benefits of the hybrid without additional strain. Actually, I haven't played much with hybrids yet, so this is just my take on it. Others who have played more with them may have some better ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll think of it more as a wood.
The doctor said it will be at least six weeks, so I'll just putt for a while.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Michael311 said:
There, another evidence. Golf is just as rough as boxing.
Hehehe, yep you can get a TKO from hitting someone on the head with a golf ball gone off course :D

CaptainHack, how are the ribs doing? Any better now? I don't know if I'd even be up for putting if I was in that rough of shape. Anything that is going to pull on your ribs is probably going to hurt a lot for the first couple of weeks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
just take it easy and go at your pace - don't be goaded into going out there before you get healed up, or it'll get screwed up and take even longer!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Michael311 said:
There, another evidence. Golf is just as rough as boxing.
LOL - I will have to start going out with a gum shield just in case :) I dont think wearing those big gloves would do my grip any good either to be honest! :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts