Golf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In high school, students are introduced to a variety of sports, by the PE teacher. However, I never heard of a high school has Golf in the curriculum. Is it because the equipment is expensive, or students have a short attention span? What are you thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our high school had a golf team as well as many others in our district. I think they did it sort of like band where if you wanted to play you would have your parents buy the equipment. I remember when I was in band a new trumpet was probably the same price as an adequate set of clubs.

Too bad my parents were completely anit-sports so I didn't start playing the game till I was 30 :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
My High School also has a golf team. To get on the team though, you have to sign-up for try-outs which is basically a golf tournament within your school. I believe its the top 8 players make the team and move onto the city championships.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wish that they could have had golf when I was in school but they still dont have it where I went. I think it is price and space.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the problem is that golf isn't recognised as a sport by many of these teachers... and the parents want their kids to run around doing something physical like dodgeball where you can see them sweat, instead of the physical and emotional training of golf.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I went to school - more years ago than I will admit to. We had an afternoon of sports each week: Soccer in winter, Cricket in summer and athletics for about a month before sports day for the boys. Hockey in winter, Rounders in summer (a girlie game similar to baseball) and athletics before sports day for the girls. Playing was compulsary (unless you got a note from your mum), you didn't get a choice in what you played.

A few years ago there was a ban on all competative sports in schools. It was felt it turned kids into bullies.

So to answer your question no golf in schools in England.

Lynn

·
Registered
482 Posts
Our school includes golf in the required curriculum. :dunno:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I doubt its the price because my golf team requires us to buy most of the things we need ourselves. Our scool isn't the richest in the district either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts