Golf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard good things about alot of them, but what's the best one in your opinion?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi Ryan

Drivers are very personal things, people will swear by their own no matter what anyone else says.

From my point of view, I am more than happy with my titleist driver, 983K.

I made the switch from callaway a couple of years back and for me and my game it has been a big help.

There are loads of good drivers out there but dont buy one on a reccomendation. You must try a few out and make sure that the one you are paying for is one that you hit well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have tried a Hi-bore and have not hit anything longer or straighter yet, plan on picking one up sometime.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I must say i have always been a fan of Cobra Drivers but what really floats my boat is a Ping G5, dont know why or how, just does :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
buy the one you hit best

even if it is a demo and you hit it well buy that one. don't believe " we'll order you one just like it" find the one and buy the one. I play early in the season with a Nickent and later with a G2 and both are demos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i tried out all the major drivers( g5, cobra f speed, nike sasq, callaway x, hibore ect) and the one i like the most is the callaway fusion ft-3. i hit it longer and straiter

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I have a Callaway Titanium Bertha II Pro that I control well and a Taylormade r7 Quad I hit a country mile with less control that the Callaway, so I change back and forth depending where I am playing and which courses are more open and can tolerate the occasional wilder shot with the Taylor.

My favorite driver of all time, the one I won tournaments with and still recall being the closest thing to an extension of my body and mind was a mid 70's persimmon, deep faced Toney Penna driver. I could do ANYTHING with that club.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fitz-uk said:
Hi Ryan

Drivers are very personal things, people will swear by their own no matter what anyone else says.

From my point of view, I am more than happy with my titleist driver, 983K.

I made the switch from callaway a couple of years back and for me and my game it has been a big help.

There are loads of good drivers out there but dont buy one on a reccomendation. You must try a few out and make sure that the one you are paying for is one that you hit well.

Best thing is go get tested on a launch monitor for the proper shaft. All the high end drivers will work fine with the right shaft for your swing speed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I like my titleist but with my old set i loved my FX9 ram driver was really nice but alas no more

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm gonna be the first on this thread to pledge allegiance to the Sasquatch, that big bitch hits it a long way

·
Registered
12 Posts
Driver..

The Nike Ignite was a nice club and I'm a fan or the Hi-Bore. Great club. I use the Double Wall but work for the company and don't pay a cent :) best driver I've ever played. I've never been a fan of the TM drivers as the deep face always feels awkward at address.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I've been happily using the Bertha II Tour Titanium for a while, but recently hit the X-460 Tour owned by a pro near me. Sooner or later, there's going to be one of those in my bag. It looked right, felt great and just scared the ball for miles. I'm going to guess I would be 10 yards longer straight out of the box with the X club, but I'm not getting rid of the B-II, just in case! I think Callaway is on to something here.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Have used:
1. Spalding 17-4PH
2. Integra TI-Alloy
3. Knight Mach 300
4. John Daly Wide Body
5. Panther World Tour
6. Bazooka Tour Edge
7. Big Bertha 454

Got to say the Bertha is my favorite, with the Bazooka close behind. Still got all of these clubs kicking around in the garage, gonna take em all out to the driving range some day and see which one of them hits the farthest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have found that I tend to switch drivers every couple of years. I have had many different brands, Titleist, Calloway, Taylor Made and Cleveland. I'm currently hitting a Cleveland Launcher, but I'm leaning towards the R7 TP for the upcoming year. I would agree with most, that it's mostly about looks, but a launch monitor and a quality shaft will be a big benefit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Currently R7 or Ping G2 Aldila NV65 shafts

old school(below 350 cc) KZG PF300 ProLaunch Blue shaft

older school(below 300 cc) TM Burner with Bubble shaft

even older school Wilson Johnny Miller Edition (truly a wood) TT steel shafts

Ive never hit Hickory shafted clubs but would be fun. I do have steel shafted cleek and niblick and driving iron. Bought them real cheap at auction $1.50 :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Best driver I ever owned is a TaylorMade 8.5° Tour Driver. It was a nice stick back in the late 80's, and I could hit it over 300 yards here in the rarified air of Colorado... and that's a small headed, steel shafted club. It still lives in my garage, and I regrip it and take it out once or twice a year for old time's sake. I can't hit it as far as I used to, but it still swings nice and hits in the 270 range when I crank one. :thumbsup: I haven't owned a driver that I really like since that one. :(

I'm currently shopping for a new driver (which is why I'm reading this thread ), but at the moment I haven't a clue what I might end up with... :dunno: Just got a Golfsmith sale catalog in the mail today.... gonna go over there on Monday and play around with several and see if any of the sale clubs feel good. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with Fourputt.

My favorite "modern" driver was my early 80's vintage TaylorMade Burner 8.5* w steel shaft.

I hit my second longest drive ever with it, (335 yds.) and it was an overall dream to hit.

But my favorite driver "Of All Time" would have to be my MacGregor Eye-O-Matic M-85 Persimmon, (which I still have). It's a beautiful club, well balanced and the sound of a well struck shot off that head was the sweetest sound I've ever heard.

The new stuff is more forgiving and more consistently longer, but nothing in the "metal era" has the personality of a well made persimmon!

-JP

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Yes, I remember the Eye-O-Matic. Along with the Hogan that had the speed-slot, I guess those two clubs are held up as icons for their age.

You mentioned the sound of the MacGregor driver and therein lies a story... Some weeks ago, I decided to check out different models of drivers in the Callaway line since they seem to please me more than other brands. I tried the ERC Fusion and regardless of its titanium face, the carbon fiber body seems to make it sound like an old persimmon club. It was kind of a shock to hear that, but a bunch of warm memories flooded back with each well struck shot.

There are a few articles in recent golf magazines about how important the SOUND of our shots is to our perception of how well we struck them. If you really like the sound of a wooden club, maybe something like the Fusion is for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, just signed up today and what do I find, talk about Eye-O-Matics.
I'm sitting in my office and in the corner is a huge tour bag with and assortment of drivers, fairway woods and putters that are in purgatory. In the back of it is my Eye-o-Matic 945T. Still the prettiest club I ever owned.
Now a days its a 580XD/9.5 with an Accufast Evolution Lite 65R. With that shaft, its the longest, straightest I've ever hit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts