Golf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that there is a lot of special language in any sport and golf is no exception. Although I thought I knew a lot of terms, I've found that some are regional or country-related and others are pretty much used by everyone, everywhere.

What's your favorite golf term? Either because it's funny, weird, right on the mark, or the only word you could ever use to describe what it is?

I'll start with mine - barkies. This is a bet some players make where if someone hits a tree on the way to the green (something I can do quite often), if they later make par on the hole, they win the bet.

Doesn't have to be just bet-related terminology ... any old thing will do.

·
Registered
102 Posts
"...in the drink" - this terminology is used by almost everyone. It describes a player hitting the ball into the water. Like, "I hit in the ball into that pond over yonder" and "My ball landed in the drink over there".

My personal favourite is " dance floor" which means the green. As in 'you're on the dance floor'

You could also check out http://www.worldgolf.com/wglibrary/reference/dictionary/dpage.html for other crazy golf terminology.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's a real whistler!

I don't really know if this classifies as golf terminology or not, but I have this video tape of Ben Hogan and Sam Snead playing Shells wonderful world of golf. The commentator said something that sounded so funny to me, because it seemed so old school. Hogan hit a drive right down the middle and long on one hole, and the commentator said, "Boy he hit a real whistler there, a real whistler!" I am guessing it is called a whistler because when you hit a really long drive the ball kind of makes a whistling sound if you listen to it. I don't know why but I always found that amusing. I tell my friends they hit a whistler now whenever they hit a nice long drive down the fairway. It sounds so goofy, but makes me laugh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Matthew_22 said:
Lol, I know a few, but they are a bit offensive so I won't say.

My favourite term is birdie, just cause they are great when I sometimes get one.
Surely albatros would be better based on this :) I would feel great if I got a few albatrose's (is that a word?)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sparky, I think it's Albatri :laugh: seriously, it's albatrosses believe it or not

I had to look that golf term up ... hadn't heard it before. In case anyone else is as ignorant as I am, an albatross is the same as a double eagle (3 under par), but is mostly used in the UK - which is why I had never heard the term I guess, since I live and play in Canada and/or the United States.

Speaking of animals, I also like the term "frog hair" which is a term some use for the close-cut grass around the green (also called "fringe").

·
Registered
41 Posts
CanCaddy said:
Sparky, I think it's Albatri :laugh: seriously, it's albatrosses believe it or not

I had to look that golf term up ... hadn't heard it before. In case anyone else is as ignorant as I am, an albatross is the same as a double eagle (3 under par), but is mostly used in the UK - which is why I had never heard the term I guess, since I live and play in Canada and/or the United States.

Speaking of animals, I also like the term "frog hair" which is a term some use for the close-cut grass around the green (also called "fringe").
Really? I didnt realise Albatross was a UK thing! hmmm you live and learn! :)

frog hair? now ive never heard of that one! Is that something from the States/Canada?

·
Registered
16 Posts
A couple I like... a Snowman - if you get an 8 on your card and a 'Sally Gunnell' (Great Britain Olympic gold medallist 400m) - Ugly but a good runner!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i like the term "chilli dip". not when it happens though. it refers to when you are chipping and hit one about two inches

·
Registered
482 Posts
Lie: how your ball is sitting up, how many strokes you've taken, and what you write down on your scorecard. :laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts