Golf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing with the same group for over 20 years, I moved to a new area a number of years ago and joined a new group. What I discovered is that this new group had a very casual attitude toward golf etiquette. Most of the players thought nothing of walking and talking when another player was ready to play his shot or crowding around the player or the hole when a shot is being played. On one occasion I was just about to take the club back on a chip shot when one of my playing partners drove his cart up and jammed the break pedal not 6 feet from me. I found all this to be very distracting but since I was the newbie, I didn't think I should be telling other people how they should play the game. I chose instead to move on to another course and soon began playing with another group. While not quite as bad, I still found this group also did not adhere to basis rules of golf etiquette.

When I learned to play the game I was taught that when another player is playing a shot, you should stand to the side, stand still, and be quiet. The group I played with in my old area for the most part played the game that way and I just assumed that was the norm. After playing with several different groups since retiring, I am finding out that a lot of people don't play that way. They don't see a problem with moving around or talking while another player is getting read to play his shot. Is this how most of recreational golfers play the game or are there still people who understand the importance of etiquette and not creating distractions while another player is playing a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You, Sir, are not alone. Timeless good advice. I wish it were contagious in this day and age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After playing with the same group for over 20 years, I moved to a new area a number of years ago and joined a new group. What I discovered is that this new group had a very casual attitude toward golf etiquette. Most of the players thought nothing of walking and talking when another player was ready to play his shot or crowding around the player or the hole when a shot is being played. On one occasion I was just about to take the club back on a chip shot when one of my playing partners drove his cart up and jammed the break pedal not 6 feet from me. I found all this to be very distracting but since I was the newbie, I didn't think I should be telling other people how they should play the game. I chose instead to move on to another course and soon began playing with another group. While not quite as bad, I still found this group also did not adhere to basis rules of golf etiquette.

When I learned to play the game I was taught that when another player is playing a shot, you should stand to the side, stand still, and be quiet. The group I played with in my old area for the most part played the game that way and I just assumed that was the norm. After playing with several different groups since retiring, I am finding out that a lot of people don't play that way. They don't see a problem with moving around or talking while another player is getting read to play his shot. Is this how most of recreational golfers play the game or are there still people who understand the importance of etiquette and not creating distractions while another player is playing a shot.
Nice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts