Golf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a new set of irons and i am torn between graphite irons or steel irons. i usually shoot around 85-95 but i dont have a fast swing ( like 85-90 mph) So what do you guys think should i go graphite or steel???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone know the difference???????????

·
Registered
316 Posts
graphite is more flexable when hitting it if your stronger dont get graphite steel would be better

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always heard that graphite gives you more distance with less accuracy while the steel shafts give you more accuracy with less distance.

If you are like most of us, we need both accuracy and distance. However I always figure with my iron game if I need more distance I just take out more club, so I like steel for irons. The Driver on the other hand is my only distance club, so I prefer graphite.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Graphite is better for an average golfer. you cannot control ball flight and spin the way you can with steel but it is a small price to pay for the distance and forgiveness you get in return. You won't be able to hit a 5 yard fade on command but you will hit more greens and shoot better scores

·
Registered
482 Posts
Steel. 90 mph is plenty fast enough to hit steel shafted irons. You will lose a couple yards compared to graphite, but thats why you carry different lofts. :p
You'll have more control over your shots, and you'll get some feedback from your off-center hits.

·
Registered
90 Posts
From my limited understanding the steel shafts hit more consistent distances albeit shorter than graphite.

However graphites have variability in distances depending upon your swing speed.

Graphites have the advantage of lighter weight, also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I played graphite shafts for two years and then switched back to steel. The consistency of steel is noticeably higher and I did not see any distance difference at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some People prefer different shafts. I personally like to have more control so i stuck with steel irons. Now drivers are different, you may want to be able to slam it off the tee box. So then you may want to go with graphite there.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If you have a slow swing speed id recomend graphite

·
Registered
648 Posts
Using graphite for a slow swing speed does not always give you an advantage. It depends on how you actually load a shaft up.

In your woods maybe, but not always for your irons.

How slow are you talking about? I know some seniors at my course that swing pretty slow and hit steel shafted irons just fine. In fact I only know of one guy over the age of 55 who has graphite shafts in all of his clubs.

If you want to read up on this go buy "In Search Of The Perfect Club" by Tom Wishon. Well worth the money for the knowledge you will gain from reading it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Graphite or Steel

I have been playing steel shafts since I started, and recently, during a vacation in LV, I used my friends graphite shafted irons.

For 5 consecutive days of playing I did not tire at all and did not really notice any difference in dispersion of the graphite shafted irons compared to my steel shated set. What I really like is I can hit the graphites a little longer.

Upon return I sold my set and ordered graphite shafted irons.

My conclusion... whatever suits you best.

By the way, I am 59 years old, had quintuple bypass 5 years ago, and hit my 6 irons at 150 yards. Golf is my therapy.

Thank you.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Titus said:
I have been playing steel shafts since I started, and recently, during a vacation in LV, I used my friends graphite shafted irons.

For 5 consecutive days of playing I did not tire at all and did not really notice any difference in dispersion of the graphite shafted irons compared to my steel shated set. What I really like is I can hit the graphites a little longer.

Upon return I sold my set and ordered graphite shafted irons.

My conclusion... whatever suits you best.

By the way, I am 59 years old, had quintuple bypass 5 years ago, and hit my 6 irons at 150 yards. Golf is my therapy.

Thank you.

Hey I had a double by pass back in May. Feeling great now. I was back on the golf course 5 1/2 weeks after my surgery :laugh: I have played 80+ rounds since my by pass. Glad you are doing so well long after you had your by pass. Can't beat walking for excersise! Might as well be swinging a club while you are out walking!:D
You are correct when you say whatever suits you best. One nice thing about graphite shafts is this. If you have arthritis in your hands, wrists etc the graphite will help dampen the vibrations caused by hitting a lot of golf balls.
I cured that in my steel shafts by putting the PRO SOFT Inserts into the shafts.
Graphite shafts will usually be lighter than steel. So as you said you won't tire as easily. Plus graphite shafts have improved immensely in the past 5 years. I remember hitting someone's graphite shafted iron 10 years ago and man that clubhead felt like it was all over the place. It was not what I wanted out of a set of irons.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think that the best thing for you to do is ask your local pro what he/she thinks and book a lesson to come and watch you hit them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts