Golf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Rakesh Sharma. I am from New Delhi, India. I am glad to be part of the community. I like to say hello to all members.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rakesh. I hope you enjoy your time here.

I don't recall ever hearing much about golf in India. Tell us a little bit about it. Are there a lot of players? Lots of courses?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for writing. Yes there are many players and golf courses in India. Few cricketers, industrialists, celebrities and corporate houses have endorsed and propagated golf in India extensively. Golf is making its own place in India. I myself have been in this industry for more than 17 years of experience and have been working on designing and developing golf courses in India. I must say that Golf certainly has its future in India.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I see a few Indian professionals on the various tours and I knew they had to have some facility to grow up and learn on, but I just wondered how developed golf was compared to other things like your love for Cricket.

When I lived in Jamaica during the 70s, the Indian side arrived for an international test match and I was amazed how many spectators actually came all the way to the Caribbean to watch them play the West Indies. Is India as crazy for golf as it is for its Cricket, Lovely Cricket?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Undoubtedly, Indians are crazy about Cricket and no game is in position to eat up its craziness. However, Golf is rising another option for sport lovers. That is why Indian Government is endorsing the idea to promote Golf and hence has chosen celebrities, industrialists and cricketers to promote Golf because the general public can easily connect to these group of people and the game as well. India has its historical significance of Golf as its emperors in medieval times were fond of Golf and they tried a lot to popularize the game. Thus, this game has got a historical and cultural touch and there is an extensive endeavor to re-instate its position. After the new golf facility creations in metropolitan cities in India the game has started gaining its charm back and very soon will stand beside Cricket!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts