Golf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody... I'm Dennis, a 57 year old player for about 50 years now. I'm an ex scratch player, briefly an Assistant Club Pro when I first finished college, (another lifetime ago), more recently out of the game for about 3 years due to some injuries and just getting back into it. I play primarily on weekends and am enjoying trying out new clubs to decide what my new set will be. (Getting old is not fun!)

I've been married to the only woman who would have me for over 30 years and we have a son and daughter, both married and doing well on their own.

When I'm not working or playing golf, I am an avid guitar player, a big Jimmy Buffett fan and I also like to go fishing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DennisM said:
Hi everybody... I'm Dennis, a 57 year old player for about 50 years now. I'm an ex scratch player, briefly an Assistant Club Pro when I first finished college, (another lifetime ago), more recently out of the game for about 3 years due to some injuries and just getting back into it. I play primarily on weekends and am enjoying trying out new clubs to decide what my new set will be. (Getting old is not fun!)

I've been married to the only woman who would have me for over 30 years and we have a son and daughter, both married and doing well on their own.

When I'm not working or playing golf, I am an avid guitar player, a big Jimmy Buffett fan and I also like to go fishing.
welcome to the board. dang you been playing more than i was alive!! thats crazy. hey how long you think it takes for a person to lower thier score about 20 strokes??

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BirdieMaster said:
how long you think it takes for a person to lower thier score about 20 strokes??
If you are rich enough not to have to work, you can do it a lot faster...

I am one of the very lucky individuals that had parents who took me to the course with them when I was a little kid of 5-6 years old. At the course near our house, Seneca Golf Club in Seneca Park, Louisville, Kentucky, the pro there was a fine gentleman named Joe Lally. He and his son, Assistant Pro Joe Jr. were waaaaay ahead for their time in believing the future of the game had to be handed to the younger generation that had been properly taught. Joe had summer seminars for us little kids and blocked off time at the course for us too. We learned the rules, the etiquette, some history and how to hit the ball and putt.

I still remember showing up at the golf tryouts for the University of Louisville and meeting a dozen guys I knew 10-12 years earlier as little kids in Joe Lally's summer groups. Joe turned out kids with enormous desire who became good golfers.

Fifty years playing this game isn't long at all. My late uncle played for over 80 years, until he was in his late 90's. He played 9 holes about 3-4 days a week, made something like 12 hole in ones during his lifetime and made his last one at the age of 97 on a 140 yard par three. He liked to joke that 50 years ago, he aced the same home with a 7 iron and the most recent time with a 3 wood. He thought that was the funniest thing in the world.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi Dennis

I must admit, I have always wanted to play golf in the States, all I need to do is convince the girlfriend that being away for a fortnight together and only seeing me in the evenings is a holiday. :)

Mind you it was 30 degrees here on Sunday, which made for a rather long walk with the clubs on my back. How do you cope with the constant heat?

Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fitz-uk said:
How do you cope with the constant heat?
A lot easier than you adapt to the constant cold, wind and rain. I loved playing in the UK because I appreciate the history of the game, but I know a lot of people who can't understand how the game started there or why anyone would have wanted to be outside in that weather.

·
Registered
800 Posts
DennisM said:
A lot easier than you adapt to the constant cold, wind and rain. I loved playing in the UK because I appreciate the history of the game, but I know a lot of people who can't understand how the game started there or why anyone would have wanted to be outside in that weather.
Funny you should say that, I tend to play better in the rain than I do in the heat. Oh well, cant have it all can you?

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried to analyse what makes me play better from time to time, but the only thing I've come up with is that my waist size has a lot to do with it.

When I lost weight, I guess I made a better turn and I hit it slightly farther, but it took a while during the diet to learn control while my body was changing. I gained some weight back and am now losing it again, so I'm expecting the same problems, but the long term benefits far outweigh the love of food.

The other thing I felt helped me was to cut the grass in the morning. I used to have a riding mower and it always seemed if I spent the hour on it, riding around the yard cutting the lawn, the vibration of the motor right at my back loosened me up and I always started off better than I would have with nothing more to warm up than a quick few swings on the first tee.

Since I don't tolerate cold very well, bundling up to play with you in the UK would probably restrict my swing so much I'd look like the Pillsbury Doughboy. If I have to wear much more than a golf shirt and a sleeveless sweater, I'm not going to be able to swing well. I think being able to tolerate the cold would be an advantage over the long run.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I found it to be very hard to keep concentrating this sunday as it was so hot.

Being in a comp. we were not allowed buggys, which would have helped some what.

Earlier this year I invested in a decent waterproof outfit, one of the footjoy range, now whilst this isnt cheap the playability is fantastic. No restriction, very lightweight material.

I just couldnt win with the heat, drank lots of fluids but the more you want to drink the more you have to carry with you.

Do you get a consistent weather range throughout the year or can your climate sway similar to ours?

DennisM said:
I've tried to analyse what makes me play better from time to time, but the only thing I've come up with is that my waist size has a lot to do with it.

When I lost weight, I guess I made a better turn and I hit it slightly farther, but it took a while during the diet to learn control while my body was changing. I gained some weight back and am now losing it again, so I'm expecting the same problems, but the long term benefits far outweigh the love of food.

The other thing I felt helped me was to cut the grass in the morning. I used to have a riding mower and it always seemed if I spent the hour on it, riding around the yard cutting the lawn, the vibration of the motor right at my back loosened me up and I always started off better than I would have with nothing more to warm up than a quick few swings on the first tee.

Since I don't tolerate cold very well, bundling up to play with you in the UK would probably restrict my swing so much I'd look like the Pillsbury Doughboy. If I have to wear much more than a golf shirt and a sleeveless sweater, I'm not going to be able to swing well. I think being able to tolerate the cold would be an advantage over the long run.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We don't see a change in the seasons from the standpoint that the tree leaves don't change colors or anything like that. Where we see a difference is in the amount of rain we get or don't get. We see a temperature difference with highs in the summer around 90 every day, while highs in the winter might be 75 almost every day. About 5 days a year, we might get a cold snap where it doesn't get above 60 degrees and the nights might go into the high 40's, but that's about it.

Right now, we're starting the rainy season and you can almost set your watch by it. About 3 PM every afternoon, it will rain here. How much depends on what other weather is around, but usually a real hard rain will come down for about 10 minutes. Then it will be humid as all get out for a couple hours and then dry enough that you would never know it rained. Since it stays light until around 8 PM, a lot of people will go to the golf course after work and after the afternoon rain, pretty much assured it won't rain again until night time or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Fitz - Skype me sometime!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Will do! :)

Turned the pc on at home for about 5 minutes last night, what with the heat in general then the heat from the pc, needless to say I checked emails then went back to watch the football with a cold beer :)

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
People here are hot and bothered about the USA's chances in the World Cup. They seem to think we have a more competitive team this year than in the past, but a 3-0 loss to the Czech team didn't show much.

I was fascinated with the team from Trinidad & Tobago, being somewhat partial because I used to live in the Caribbean in the 70's. I lived in Jamaica, who isn't in the cup this time, so we have to adopt T&T as our Carib representative. They played Sweden to a scoreless draw the other day.

But any excuse to drink a cold beer can't be bad...

·
Registered
800 Posts
DennisM said:
People here are hot and bothered about the USA's chances in the World Cup. They seem to think we have a more competitive team this year than in the past, but a 3-0 loss to the Czech team didn't show much.

I was fascinated with the team from Trinidad & Tobago, being somewhat partial because I used to live in the Caribbean in the 70's. I lived in Jamaica, who isn't in the cup this time, so we have to adopt T&T as our Carib representative. They played Sweden to a scoreless draw the other day.

But any excuse to drink a cold beer can't be bad...
I thought that the USA played pretty well, its always going to be an uphill struggle against a team like the Czechs. The only place I felt that the USA were lacking were with a little bit of inventiveness up front - no brutal pace, or switching wings, or changing the formation. Made it very easy for the Czechs to block you out.

Looking forward to Brazil tonight though.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for all your ideas, Dennis!

Welcome to the site and I hope you continue to enjoy it and keep on posting your ideas :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
its pretty hard to play out here in miami. Its just so hot and with the humidity your dead after walking 15 or so holes. Dennis where do you play at often?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts