Golf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Paula Dean would say.....:D

My name is Dr. Walter Sims. I love playing golf....I took about 2.5 years off from the game....several reasons: kids getting older...coaching soccer, playing a lot of Madden football on the PS2, working, husbanding, pastoring a church....AND I just did not take time to hone in on my golf skills.

BUT the feeling is back. I played in a 4 man scramble about 5 weeks ago...my team finished 3rd. I played in a 2 man scramble 2 weeks ago, finished 4th!! Man I love this game.

I went to a local golf instructor and he videoed my swing (I sought help cause my iron play had just gotten downright ugly....eeeeekkkk).

When I saw me on the monitor and he was explaining what I was doing wrong....man it helped me tremendously...he told me the main thing I was doing was bumping to the left which translated to poor weight transfer and breaking my right leg....so we fixed that....and I swing about 5-10 times a day whenever I think about it....my coworkers (the non golfers) think I am crazy. :cool:

I have started back chipping in the back yard....I just ordered a golf fitness book off of Amazon.com.

I am back....my goal is to be a single digit handicapper!!!!!!!! I am looking forward to our conversations!!!!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Welcome :)

you sound like a busy man!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fo sho!!!!!!!!!!!!

fitz-uk said:
Welcome :)

you sound like a busy man!
Life is definitely full......and so much fun!!!! I guess I would not have it any other way.

What kind of golfer are you???? Clubs?? Ball preference???

Later

·
Registered
24 Posts
Show a little excitement, would ya?

:D

Enjoy your re-found love!
I for one have never taken a prolonged break. Golf is the ONLY thing I can say that about. They are going to have to pry my driver out of my cold, dead hands!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya............

sroh said:
:D

Enjoy your re-found love!
I for one have never taken a prolonged break. Golf is the ONLY thing I can say that about. They are going to have to pry my driver out of my cold, dead hands!
The fire is burning again!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
800 Posts
See the sig for the clubs, balls well - i prefer nxts at the moment.

I try to play once / twice a week minimum, competitions, mates games etc all golf is good golf.

Playing off 14 now, just picked the clubs up again after a couple of years off, early last year.

I have set myself a target to be a single figure handicapper before the end of next year.....we shall see :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome

fitz-uk said:
See the sig for the clubs, balls well - i prefer nxts at the moment.

I try to play once / twice a week minimum, competitions, mates games etc all golf is good golf.

Playing off 14 now, just picked the clubs up again after a couple of years off, early last year.

I have set myself a target to be a single figure handicapper before the end of next year.....we shall see :)
That's my goal too....let's exchange phone numbers so we can track each other's progress. What are you doing to get there???? I gotta work on my approach shots!!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
preacherrr said:
That's my goal too....let's exchange phone numbers so we can track each other's progress. What are you doing to get there???? I gotta work on my approach shots!!!
Mate it will cost you a bomb to call me in the uk :)

I have regular lessons with a coach here in the uk, he teaches a few established faces on the european tour - so I am in good hands.

On the most part, I play regular, I'm willing to learn from my coach, and I am enjoying the game.

Its important not to be too dismayed by a bad round / shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW - UK huh

fitz-uk said:
Mate it will cost you a bomb to call me in the uk :)

I have regular lessons with a coach here in the uk, he teaches a few established faces on the european tour - so I am in good hands.

On the most part, I play regular, I'm willing to learn from my coach, and I am enjoying the game.

Its important not to be too dismayed by a bad round / shot.
Well howdy pardna......how is the weather there? I live in Southeast Alabama where its golf whether about 9.5 months out of the year....and even when its chilly outside, we consider playing....LOL nice to meet you....let's keep in touch to gauge our progress!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice sticks!

I loved the MP32s when I hit them.
I actually carried a 340g Red X, center shafted, for a while. It didn't suit me very well, but that's an issue with my putting, not the putter. It's gorgeous.

And I've played Titleist woods before also. But I want more forgiveness than these offer.

·
Registered
800 Posts

The irons were a late addition, as my game was improving and I felt my old irons, (some old king cobras) were holding me back some. A lot of the cobras were strengthened naturally and had far too much bounce on the sole of the club. Its nice to have more control with the irons.

Regarding the driver, its the most forgiving driver I have owned - made the switch from callaway - never looked back :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hello, Preacherrrr! :)

Welcome to the club!

I really admire your enthusiasm and high spirits! They are very contagious! :D

Thanks for deciding to join golfforum.com and we look forward to learning from you as we share each other's experiences. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts