Golf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to golf and I would like to get suggestions as to choosing a good and effective golf ball to use for beginners like me ...

Thanks...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Id also be very interested to find out if there is such a thing designed specifically for beginners? I thought a ball was justr a ball - can one really help you improve your game?

·
Registered
15 Posts
As weird as it sounds, I think golf balls are very mental. Take me for example. I golf better when I hit callaway balls. They probably don't even do anything for me, I am just comfortable hitting callaway. I won't shoot well hitting a nike, or anything else. Alot of golf is personal preference.

Just my opinion though, many golf balls are better than others.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nothing wrong with using cheap balls at first. In fact, I will laugh in the face of any 36 handicap who plays Pro V1's. Just don't use balls that are all scuffed up or have nicks in them, cuz that'll throw your putting off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I seem to go through phases with balls - I tend to range from Wilson (Jacks), Precept, Srixon, Nike & Snake Eyes - they all seem to work for me - find one you like & stick with it - PR's advice is good too - whatevers on sale!!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Spider John, that is a very nice suggestion that I missed...

Get the balls on sale... it wouldn't matter, thanks to all of you who replied to this thread! Really appreciate that! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I only play with the softest golfballs I can find, Right now I am playing Calloway HX HOTs and HX TOURs(like the one in my avvy).

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a beginner, get the cheapest going. If its an expensive new ball it will play more on your mind. (unless you're loaded, then use anything you like:))

·
Registered
144 Posts
^^I forgot about that, If you feel like you can play with a better ball then by all means pay the extra 10-15.

·
Registered
21 Posts
G'day Cricketer,
noticed the MCC logo - what price the Poms for "the Ashes" on their rightful soil this year!! - might watch a bit if I'm not golfing!!:laugh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I personally like the Titleist Pro V1x. I also think that this ball is way over-priced. It still remains my favorite ball so I just find other place to buy it. Internet, Ebay ect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the same way that someone said earlier that playing with cut or scuffed balls would make shots erratic, I think the same could be said for playing hard balls and then softer ones interchanged throughout a round. There is no way to build consistency. I believe Earl said Tiger only played the same type of titleist since he could swing a club. Not only the same brand but same type. I say pick a type of ball (hard or soft) for specific reasons and stick with only that ball. It's the only way to start building consistency.

Bruno

·
Registered
16 Posts
Spider John said:
G'day Cricketer,
noticed the MCC logo - what price the Poms for "the Ashes" on their rightful soil this year!! - might watch a bit if I'm not golfing!!:laugh:
Home advantage is putting the series slightly in your favour. We're currently unearthing a few more quickies to test you. Can't wait!:cheeky4:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I saw one of those slow-mo camera angles on a maxfly and a callaway amd the callaway changed shape incredibly more than the maxfly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Callaway is way more expensive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Prea said:
I saw one of those slow-mo camera angles on a maxfly and a callaway amd the callaway changed shape incredibly more than the maxfly.
Is this on the net somewhere? Also, what kind of Maxfli was it?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts