Golf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never actually used a hybrid iron, but from what I've read and ehard they're a pretty decent club. Anyone have any information or reviews? Also, if anyone knows what they roughly sell for please post.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the hybrids have become much more popular in the last few years than they used to be. There are tons around - I think just about every manufacturer of clubs has a hybrid line.

The ones I find kind of intriguing are the Ping line that's out. Supposedly each one is tailored to a different need for improving your game. Here's the description of the line:

The G2 clubs, running 3-PW along with SW and LW, include a center of gravity moved away from the face and a wide sole for improved launch and forgiveness.

The G2 EZ clubs, which come 7-PW, plus SW and LW, are designed for golfers with slower swing speeds. The set features larger loft differentials to provide meaningful distance gaps between the irons.

The G2 HL (high-launch) clubs are hybrid Nos. 2-5 irons, designed for golfers who have had trouble with more traditional long irons. The extra-wide soled clubs provide a more forgiving bounce and utilize a center of gravity positioned away from the face to yield a higher ball launch.

For women with slow swing speeds, the G2L clubs are a counterpart to G2 EZ, but with a custom-crafted shaft and lighter overall weight.

"The expanded line [offers] greater appeal to a wide range of golfers," said John Solheim, Ping chairman/CEO. "The clubs are extremely forgiving. Plus, golfers can choose the set makeup that meets their needs."​

Looks like cost for these is about $125 (steel shaft) and about 30 bucks more for a graphite shaft. I haven't used any of them, but they sound interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a Nike CPR 21 Deg hybrid from a friend and I like the club.It dose seem alittle easier to hit than a 3 iron.They say that they are here to stay.I would like to get one that is 15 to 18 deg and maybe take my 3 wood out of the bag...

Cly

·
Registered
103 Posts
Cly said:
I bought a Nike CPR 21 Deg hybrid from a friend and I like the club.It dose seem alittle easier to hit than a 3 iron.They say that they are here to stay.I would like to get one that is 15 to 18 deg and maybe take my 3 wood out of the bag...

Cly
Cly, I'm probably mistaken but I thought that hybrids were basically designed to take the place of the long irons in a game rather than the woods? It looks from what I've read anyway, like they can be used in almost any shot (aside from putting :) ) though, so maybe then can replace a wood too.

Do you find that your distance is longer with the hybrid?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are probably riight CanCaddy.But if I can hit a club that feels like Im swinging a iron 240 + yards I would take my 3wood out of the bag.maybe its
just me but That would be my plan.And who knows maybe I wouldn't like not having a 3wood and I would ditch some Irons.AS of right now I dont carry my 5 or 7 wood.Just have to wait and see how I hit it......

Cly...

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as the Hybrid taking the place of the 3 Wood, that is definately a possiblity. I personally have never hit a hybrid, but I carry an adams tight lies 7 wood, and I hit it 200 yards. I can't seem to hit my 3 Wood as straight or as far. The 7 is basically a hybrid, so...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hybrid

I bought a Ram fx recovery 18deg loft for £40 and loved it. I struggle with long irons and my woods can be very wayward. I use this club nearly as much as my putter!!!! goes high and straight every time. Good out of rough and fairway bunckers. I bought this because of good reviews and very low price, heard very good things on the halo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, I've been playing a set of Edge CFT Hogan irons that came with a 3 and a 4 iron-Hybrid. For the first couple of years I completely replaced my fairway woods with these clubs (3-hybrid went ~210 yds, which is enough for courses around here). Well worth the money in my opinion. They are very forgiving and rather easy to hit, you want to swing them like you would a normal 3 iron or 4 iron.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I have a Callaway 3H, 20 degrees about like a 5 wood. I can hit down on it and make it go high or sweep it and nail it low. Either way, I'm good for about 200-210 yards. I'm thrilled with it and while I like my Bertha 3 wood, I'm really tempted to look for one of the 13 or 14 degree hybrids to replace it. I play a course where I hit 3 wood off the tee or from the fairway a lot and I feel better with a hybrid than a longer club.

Maybe I really have gotten old, but I seem to see a lot of hybrids in the PGA bags... they can't be too bad, huh?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the tommy armour 3 hybrid 21 degree and a 4 hybrid 24 degree. I only hit a nike cpr that a friend had I am still learning how to hit them. Mine is heavy as a house but I hit the 3 well the 4 just havent had that success with yet. I miss a 3 iron though to be honest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love my CPR 2 21* It has replaced my 5 wood for now. I get the same distance and a higher launch and softer landing. It has taken the frustration out of hitting long shots from the fairway. I rarely pull the 3 wood unless its a tee shot. I may look into getting a 18* CPR as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I replaced my 3 and 4 irons with hybrids. These clubs have a lower center of gravity and more forgiveness on off centered hits. I hit them 10 yards farther than the conventional irons of similar lofts.

I initially bought a 2i to replace the 5W to maintain an upright swing; however I hit the 5W more efficiently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts