Golf Forum banner

I Keep Breaking My Woods

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Prea 
#1 ·
Hey. Some of you guys might find this funny. I started golfing a few weeks ago. So far I've only been going to the driving range to get an idea for my range. Anyways... I've gone through two 3woods and two 5woods. Three had graphite shafts and one had a steel shaft. They all broke where the head meets the shaft. This is really starting to piss me off. I know I'm not making the best contact so far but everytime they broke was on solid contact. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or what clubs I should invest in. Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Well. I bought a set of used clubs on Ebay. They are Spalding. They were in pretty good condition. Then i replaced them with two clubs that I also purchased on Ebay. They were Adams Golf brand. I know they are not the best but from what i got told by some people at the range, even crappy clubs shouldn't break like that. Maybe I should get off the Bonds training routine lol...

#5 ·
Yep, I'd cut down on those sports energy drinks, especially if you are buying them from the same people supplying Bonds :)

I wonder if your clubs are defective? Were the sellers you got them from online and at eBay ones with excellent feedback scores? I know the bargains can be enticing, but I really don't think it's a good idea to buy a golf club without running it through a few practice swings just to see how it feels in your hands before buying it. Plus, if you had bought locally, I can't think of a shop around that wouldn't refund your purchase price if the woods break that easy. Sounds to me like there is something not quite right with your clubs. Can you get in touch with the sellers and see if they'd like to work something out with you?

#6 ·
I have gone through 2 callaway drivers in the same manor.

Im guessing you have quite a fast swing...

The answer I found after a couple of new drivers and about 3 hours with a pro was that I was putting too much torque through the shaft, and so the shaft was falling apart.

Id reccomend that you head to a local shop where you can try clubs, get your swing speed checked and try something with a shaft more set up for more powerful swing speeds.

FWIW I now have the fujikura speeder shaft in my driver and it has made a massive difference.

#8 ·
Are you hitting behind the ball/chunking your other shots, if you are that is probably the problem there, I did that when I started playing also.

#10 ·
There was a kid on the golf team that broke a couple drivers because of hitting behind the ball.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.