Golf Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Masters week is finally here, but my mind has been on Augusta for some time now.

My swing coach, Pat Goss, has had me working on several speed drills to prepare for Augusta National’s ultra-fast greens, and I’ve been hitting a lot of chips into the grain because that’s how they cut the grass around the greens there. The key for me this week, however, is going to be driving. I didn’t come into the Masters last year swinging particularly well, and when I’m struggling with my swing my long clubs generally suffer. I drove the ball very poorly and, as a result, I missed the cut for the first time at the Masters (in four appearances).

Since I first played Augusta National in 2005, the course has gotten increasingly longer and more narrow. Ten years ago, it was more of a second-shot course, but now your entire game has to be on. You have to drive it in the fairway, control your irons and chips into the greens and putt extremely well. I happen to be putting pretty good right now (T-5 on the PGA Tour in putts per GIR), but my driving accuracy (55.8 percent) is down, and I need to clean that up to have a chance this week.

read more

1 - 1 of 1 Posts