Golf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this may sound as a bit of a stupid or childish question. But do any of the tournaments or tours have a MVP award? Or is there a golfer of the year award. Now obviouly in tournaments the one who wins should be the MVP and is one of the better golfer but the award could also go to a golfer who was runner-up and played his heart. Any comments on this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We'll just ignore Husker's comment for now and my apologies on behalf of all us Canadians on the board for his boorish behavior :cheeky4:

Anyway, IMHO, I could see something like this for tournaments for younger players. I imagine some of them already do this. An award for the most improved score or the player who may not have won but did an incredible job based on his usual performance.

I don't see this in adult tournaments, however. We all want to win and that's the goal. I think it might hurt the professionalism of "official" tournaments if adults got "you did good" awards. We all old enough now to not need the extra ego boost (or at least I think we should be mature enough to face up to the agony of defeat).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks cancaddy. Thats what I was leaning towards. Not an actual MVP award as husker seemed to take it. But yeah, like a most improved, best sportsmanship, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cancaddy

take your goodie goodie attitude and shove it. the guy asked a stupid question. give me a break. he asked about mvp awards on the tour. you think any of the players on the PGA tour (or any tour) want an award for most sportsmanlike player? we're talking about golf here. there aren't many 'bad guys' out there.

and i don't think any golfers want a 'gee you didn't win, but you sure tried hard' award

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think it was a stupid question, I just think MarczO had this idea and wanted to see what other people thought.

Anyway, here's what I think (its much the same as what Cancaddy said):

I think that sort of award is really only for team sports. It just doesn't seem right to be handing out 'encouragement awards' to proffessional athletes, or grown adults for that matter.

However I don't see how they could hurt if they were used in junior tournaments, or just for juniors at their local clubs. Or maybe if the kids under 13 in clubs were judged equally on their performance and their improvement levels. Like little athletics, if you have that over there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Husker ... I'm far from a goodie-goodie - just ask my parole officer. Just don't see any point in acting like a putz. As my sainted grandmother used to say, if you ain't got nothing nice to say, just shut the hell up.

Also, if you even bothered to read my post, you would see that I don't think the "gee you did good" award has a place in tournaments that grown men and women play, but I think it may encourage younger players to try harder and stay with the game.

In case you're having trouble reading complex sentences, I said:

Only for children.

·
Registered
177 Posts
At least, MarczO knows that the questions he posed were not that sensible but I admire him for being that honest. Sometimes we prefer not to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed that is why, MarczO, I salute you!! You are not only honest but humble and courageous, too!

Don't stop asking and posting... we want more posters here :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
wow

he said this, and he said that. Your a dumbass, no your a dumbass, your a goodie goodie, no im not........................geesh, your all actin like a bunch of bitche$. You guys are fellow Canadians hug one another and move on. The kid asked a question and to some it was stupid to others not. If he wants to ask a damn question whether stupid or not let him if no one wanted to respond they wouldn't have. Lets put em on the table and see whose is bigger. Grow up fellas your actin like girls

·
Registered
160 Posts
well, a sportmanship award would be nice to encourage the new kids in the sport to play nicer than just punks in the street...

I mean, we talk about etiquette, but when push comes to shove at times you see even the pros acting like jerks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts