Golf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just took up golf about a month ago.

Am having a good time learning the game. Have a beginner set of clubs and have played 3 18 hole rounds so far. I also spend time at a local driving range and play par 3 courses to work on my short game. I've had 3 lessons from a Club Pro.

At this point, my biggest challenge is trying to develop a consistent swing. Right now, 20% of my shots are horrendous, 70% are not great and 10% are remarkable; in a positive way. I've been told that I can play the game, but consistency is going to be a challenge for me.

I've read Ben Hogan's first book (over and over) and I like it; very good explanations of what to do to develop a good swing, but reading it and doing it don't seem to coincide for me at this point. On 9 or 18 hole courses, I'll usually par one or two holes, be one over on a couple and double or triple bogie (or worse) the rest. For 9 holes, my score is typically in the mid-50s. I also tend to loose balls off the tee due to a driver slice.

Looking for some guidance.

68begin

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please be sure to read our rules as they apply to advertising and all that good stuff.

Your slice is probably the most common problem a lot of golfers have, so there's going to be a wealth of information trying to teach you how to get rid of it. Some will be conflicting. Look for good fundamentals from respected teachers. Try to avoid what anyone tells you is a secret only the pros know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the boards! Enjoy your stay, and make sure to BE ACTIVE!! We have a great community here and would love to have you be apart of that!

I just skimmed through it, but I see you have a problem with the slice. Like Dennis said, slice is the, by far, most common problem among golfers. However, hard work never fails to fix problems. Just get out there and grind it out, you'll find you'll suddenly work through it over time if you keep at it. Focus on your hip drive THROUGH the ball, and releasing your hands at contact. Those are my biggest problems when I begin to hit fades or slices. Don't be afraid to hook the ball!

I've actually wrote an article on this on how to hit a golf ball straight every single time. It has some advice from Butch Harmon and other renowned teachers. It might help you:

How to hit a golf ball straight every time: Secrets every pro knows | Bunker Review

Cheers!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts