Golf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there new here but not totally new to the game. I have had a few lessons in the dim past.
But decided this week to get back into it. So on a friends recommendation i got a set of Rife RX2, nice clubs they look and feel good.. some tees, a pack of lake balls, and a nice pair of under armour goretex shoes.

So effectively ready to go. However, and this is where the low confidence thing comes in. When i used to play, at stevenage public course, and was just starting out. i went along with a friend for a round. was a bit of a queue for 1st tee. eventually got up there. feeling everyone watching... i totally scaffed the shot, it rolled barely off the tee. the two guys waiting got sweary and were laughing. so i let them get on with it. But confidence of playing near others absolutely shot. yeah i know most players will top a ball along the fairway etc every so often. But this time i want to get my confidence back.
I did play after that at loch carron in the west highlands. and loved it. could get round in 102 was my best. always just me on the course.
So how do i get over the 1st tee shot thing. and how do i get to love the game again.

Administrator
Yup, totally agree with you when starting out (new or again), that first shot with the p-nut gallery watching can be nerve wracking.

You don't know those laffers from a hole in the ground so just let it go. So, yep you get the yips on that first hit but with any luck they will not catch up to you at the 2nd tee box and so , no gallery 馃榿

As you are in essence a beginner again, consider this: you're playing an easy course (I assume it's easy) because you are a duffer (and I say that with no disrespect to you). A lot of us out there 馃槈

You HAVE to assume those laffers are probably duffers as well otherwise why would they be playing that course?

Go again. And again. And again. If you think you are truly not improving, consider taking a lesson or three and see what you're doing wrong and get some tips on how to correct.

I read elsewhere: do not try to analyze YOUR swing. Have a pro do it. If you knew how to correct it, you'd have done it already. So why would you try to fix your swing yourself?

Good luck with whatever way you go but go you must (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that is amazing advice.. thanks. im off to driving range to get the feel of these new clubs tomorrow. but have discovered none of the courses in my area allow solo play. like you cant even book a tee time if solo. so will be a while before i get to play an actual round.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like my trip into golf will be a short one.
AS per previous, not a hugely confident player. but was willing to give it a go....
got clubs... got shoes.. went to driving range a few times.. felt good.

Decided to look at booking a round a little in the future. to have a target.
And... seems your not allowed to play single player.. none of the clubs in my area seem to allow it. I dont have anyone i can go with. Seems a stupid rule. but one club, online booking form has 1,2,3,4 as number of players... but the 1 player column, is blanked out. so you cant select it. 2nd and 3rd ones it tried. both let you select 1 player, but then came up "no dates available", did a test as 2 player, and loads of dates available.
So trying to change sports to get away from the insane old fashioned Blazers that run lawn bowls.. seems i stumbled into same old running golf.
No wonder its in decline. if this is the dumb rules.

Administrator
Sorry to hear that. You would think with the way the economy is going these days with covid lockdowns, etc business' would be jumping at the chance to get some paying customers through the doors.

No one to go with? Wife? Girlfriend? Boy friend? Co-worker?? Go for a round and finish up with a pint is a great way to encourage someone to get out in the fresh air 馃槈

Obviously not knowing your situation, it's difficult to suggest alternatives. Sincerely hope you don't give up (y)

Administrator
I tried booking a time here

and it allowed me to book one player (didn't go too far down the booking path but at least it allowed that. Now, it says it's "members" so not sure what would happen in the next step but..............

Maybe you're not searching far enough away (or enough courses) from where you live?:rolleyes: Dunno, just making suggestions.

Although written a year ago, some interesting comments (skip the spam, soooooo many in this link)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get that, and have emailled courses up to 30 miles from home, which frankly i wouldnt be bothered heading to as its too far. try and book a single player round at delapre? not a chance. im waiting on replies. but having tested 9 or 10, and got as far as signing up for a "free" account on a couple of occasions, to be met with.... "no available dates". seems you are a social pariah if you play solo... at loch carron was so much different, turn up, tee off (even wearing jeans) if you met someone on the way round, stop and have a natter, share tees, techniques. and sometimes complete the round with them... and i presumed all golf was like this friendly, and relaxed, not seemingly full of stuffed shirt blazers making non sensical rules.

I really dont have anyone to go with. my partners dad is a keen player, but lives 2 hours away, and i wouldnt want him dragging a duffer like me around a course.

Administrator
Understand your situation. It's the opposite here in Ontario,Canada (singles are welcome/will usually get paired up with other singles/twosomes.

BUT with covid situation, our entire province is closed except for essential services--grocery, medical and liquor. Yep, liquor is essential--I guess to help us get through not being able to go anywhere.

Golf courses and driving ranges are also closed yet they say outdoor exercise is good for you :rolleyes:

Truly hope you can get this sorted out soon before winter hits--again.

BTW, I found this from a year ago. Seems strange that the opposite is true now

Keeping in mind I have no idea what websites you are familiar with but in a brief search I found this site which I hope is useful to you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts