Golf Forum banner
401 - 420 of 434 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
What a beautiful, simple designed iron. I have to laugh a little though, thinking of you going back and forth between something so classic and something like the Pings that look like farm implements. I know the beryllium copper is a fantastic club, but I'll take the Miura over them, thankyouverymuch!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks guys! They are very sweet irons. The look, the feel... hard to explain. All my buds that have hit them want to steal them from me.

I love to make you laugh Dennis. Its my job bud! Us tall guys have to stick together.
I can see you putting down the IsI clubs as clunky looking but the Eye 2's are a style that is still around today. I will have to lay them out and get some side by side shots for you to compare.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Side shot of the MC102's
[/URL][/IMG]

Shot of the Eye 2's

Of course its not fair to compare 4,5,6 to 8,9,W

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
The Eye 2 was the first iron made that started the design revolution towards what we call game improvement, or extreme game improvement irons today. I know you've heard me say thin a million times, but I'm too old fashioned for my own good and if I could hit it well, I'd still choose a classic looking club over something that looks like the old Pings, regardless how I know they are great clubs.

My one concession to their design was a number of years ago. I went to buy new clubs at a Golfsmith store about 40 miles from me. They gave me a lot more for my trade ins than I expected and considering what I wanted to spend out of pocket, it opened up a much larger selection. I hit a lot of irons in their booth and there was no denying the numbers. I hit the Ping G15 best.

Ugly as they were, cast as they were, they actually felt good and the more I hit them, the prettier they got.

I eventually went to the i15 iron and played them really well. (My game was in a lot better shape back then) When I had the really bad experience with the ridiculous fitting for the new G20 irons, it totally turned me off of Ping because I felt the store and the factory had misrepresented their ability to fit me properly. What I need for my size, but what I need to still be capable of swinging the club at my age are in conflict.

I probably should have spoken up more during the fitting when I felt so tired from 50-60 swings with the sample club I was so uncomfortable with, but I let the fitter, (who was later fired for the problems he cause Edwin Watts), convince me the clubs I ordered would swingweight in a more comfortable range.

I've learned a lot since then and I'm thrilled with my Mizunos now.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a crappy Ping fitting. My Ping fitting actually helped me a lot with grip size, bend angle and +1 in length of shafts. This is what I base all my irons off. Being in between Black & Blue opens a few doors for me. Its says .75 degrees upright now on the chart but the old one for Eye 2's said 1 degree.
My Miura's are 1 degree upright and 1" longer on the shafts and they fit very nice. Comfy stance with all clubs. I am hitting them very nice and they have a similar feel to the Nickel and Copper clubs I like to hit.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Ping is a static fitting with no subjective consideration. Most manufacturers work that way, so it's not a question of right or wrong, just how they work to get the most people into somewhat of a fitted club.

What opened my eyes was the fitting for some Titleist irons made for the assistant pro I used to work with. He won a few tournaments around South Florida and having become noticed, Titleist rushed to sign him up.

Their fitting for him was a lot different than what you or I would get from someone doing it at a store. They watched him hit balls for hours on end outside off grass. They had conversations about shots he liked or disliked, fade or draw bias, trajectory and all that. Finally they went in the simulator to help determine which head and shaft might suit him best and that's where they measured the lies from his setup with EVERY club, not just the 5 iron. His set eventually wound up going from slightly flat lies in the long irons to slightly upright lies in the short irons.

That's a lot more in depth fitting that any of us amateurs might ever have unless we know someone who can do that kind of work.

Since then I've heard some people say the lie of the club has to work in concert with the characteristics of the shaft. If the shaft lets the head go toe down a lot, the head needs to be upright or the shaft needs to be more tip stiff. It's not an easy equation to figure out.

It does make me wonder if amateurs are simply better off not thinking too much and making their game fit a generic fitting that lets them assume a better posture than otherwise and go from there.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is quite the fitting but if you are gonna go Pro I would guess they would do the whole 9 yards for you.
I have read quite a few post here and there on fittings and they can be short and not very helpful to long and quite extensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So I will show the Miura MC102, Ping Isi Nickle and Ping Copper Eye 2's.
I think the new stuff doesn't vary much from the old.
Yea the IsI are pretty funky looking but they are fun to play.

If you have multiple sets, throw some pics down so we can compare some sticks.

Front:
[/URL][/IMG]

Back:
[/URL][/IMG]

I pretty much started with the Eye 2 Copper sticks. Grew to like the Ping line up so I added in some IsI clubs. I never liked the Zings and they were the only other Pings to be made from Copper.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Here's the current bag. Mizuno 2015 model JPX-EZ driver, 3 wood and 4 hybrid, all stiff shafts. 4-PW, Mizuno MP-H5 irons with DG R300 shafts. Mizuno JPX wedges, 50*, 54* and 58*. Old Scotty Cameron Newport 2 putter.

The gadget with the yellow ball on the end is one of the best things I've found. The yellow ball is a weight on the end of a driver length very flexible rubbery shaft with a golf grip on the end. I have a terrible time loosening up when I go to Killian Greens, where they have no driving range. Five minutes of swinging this around me gives me a good chance to hit a decent shot on the first tee.

The MP-H5 irons are sort of a interesting set. The 3-6 iron are hollow and very soft feeling even though they are cast. The 7-PW are forged. The soles on the set are fairly wide and they are really easy to hit off any kind of turf.

The driver and 3 wood are adjustable via the hosel like so many others these days. The driver also has a moveable weight. Standard is 10.5 and center weight. I've experimented some and have it at 9.5, center weight. That opens the face about 1/2 a degree. I have the 3 wood set at 16 degrees.

The old Scotty Cameron needs to be regripped. The epoxy came loose and when I glued it back together, I didn't get it put back together with the grip perfectly straight. It's OK to use, but I know it's slightly open.

I have to say, after some years of experimenting, I'm pretty happy with this set. All I might look forward to in the near term future would be going to graphite shafts and extra length to accommodate my advanced age.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nice setup Dennis. Is the bag a matching Muzino stand bag?
That is a strange setup to have 3-6 hollow and 7-P to be forged. Any difference in the feel when hitting the ball?
Thye are nice looking irons and dont appear to be big GI irons with huge soles. I believe it was the G15 or G20 that had such huge soles it didnt appear to be easy or fun to hit never mind being nice to look at. You had both of those didnt you?
It looks like you have another Scottie off tot he side. Backup putter? I never really liked his putters. Too much money for a putter. Plus I have heard they are not quite what they use to be as far as manufacturing and quality. My boss had one and like to brag about the cost. Beat him in putting with my $60 B60 putter and loved the $20 he had to fork over to me.:D
I will try to get a good shot of my other staff bag with my goodies in it as well as upload some putters I have.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Yeah, it's a Mizuno Elite stand bag.

The hollow long iron idea isn't actually so new or uncommon. Titleist for one, makes hollow long irons, but I think theirs stops around the 4 iron. Other companies make mixed sets with hybrids for the 4-5 irons. Mizuno just does it a bit differently.

They feel great. The long irons are just as soft feeling as the forged short irons. One thing I've realized is, I can hit them high or low when I need to. I can't seem to hit my 4 hybrid low, so I carry both the 4 iron and 4 hybrid. I hit the hybrid farther anyway, so it's not a big deal.

One thing I'm thinking about is going to graphite shafts. I'd love the same set I have with graphite instead of steel. My wrists, elbows and shoulders just can't take the pounding anymore. I need something to dampen the vibrations.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That sounds strange for the irons but if they hit good then I guess thats what counts. Would have to try them.
Are the shafts on your woods not the same as the irons? Hard to tell. If not an all graphite setup will make you a happy camper.

A lot of people talk similar about hybrids as you. I cant hit them well so I carry 2 & 3 irons because I love to hit them. I throw in the 3 wood but have not had the 5w out in a while. It let me down last time when I didnt have the 2 or 3 so its been sitting out for a bit.

I do finally carry a driver. 4 years in the making but I can finally hit the driver good so it is in my bag. I use to be good with the 3w and had the next shot set. Now playing a driver it changed the 2nd shot big time. I had to adjust and start hitting different 2nd shots. Some lay ups, some long 8,9,W shots to the green. It took a bit to get use to and now I am using more irons and have a better array of shots with the irons.

I got a Callaway BB Diablo Driver with Stiff Aldila DVS shaft.
I hit it pretty good. Usually 90% in between the trees!!!
One of my buddies hates it. We use to be pretty close him with his D and me with my 3w. Now he gets to shoot first on most holes. Hates the walk up to my ball. On a good day. I can draw the ball on a lot of the holes but have to slice one so I can find it later at the 19th hole.

I like it. Does a nice job, price was right and it matches my red bag and goodies.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
A buddy of mine still uses the Diablo he bought new. He's put it in the closet 2-3 times for something new he got and always winds up selling the new stuff and going back to his Diablo.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It work for me. Get something good off the tee. Get something great for the greens. Next thing you know you are shooting some good golf.

I will let you know when I get it all together.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a couple of putters to share with you all.
First up my Ti4 WRX.
I really like this putter on fast greens.
[/URL][/IMG]

Next up I have old trusty... my Copper B60.
This putter is great for everything.

Next is the Nickle version of the B60.
Great all around putter as well.

Hit em straight this weekend if you are playing!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
oh oh looks like some error happened while uploading an image in this, those images are not visible so while uploading it make sure that your image is visible.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
Hi Johnniewalk,

In the past, we had a lot of problems with spammers advertising, so what the forum owners did was code in something that doesn't let you post links or pictures for your first 20 posts... some number like that. Once a new member has participated in the forum and sort of proven they are here for the right reasons, the post count triggers the ability to post links and pictures.

Unfortunately, it's one of those cases where the good have to suffer a little bit for the bad, but it's worked pretty well for the past couple years now and managing the spammers has gotten a lot easier.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Anybody got any new goodies to show?
Don't tell me I have to go and get another set of Miura's to put up in here.... not that I would mind.:D

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
I know it's hard to believe, but since I went to these Mizuno MP-H5 irons, I haven't wanted to try anything else. I know that's a big disappointment to you all, but... well... sorry... :cheeky4:

401 - 420 of 434 Posts