Golf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me when a putt is finished ?
Is it
A- when the ball stops moving ?
B- When the ball has been marked ?
C- When the ball has been marked and picked up ?

This came up at a game when the player had missed the hole by rolling past about 1ft.
He said, "I'll just finish this" and another player said..... 'that's your prerogative'.
I don't believe it is your right, to tap in.
As I under stand it, once the ball as come to rest, the ball should be marked, or be invited by your opponent to 'finish it'.

I know for a fact, that in Match play that the ball which is furthest from the hole should be played next.
Also, technically, the ball which is furthest from the hole in Stroke play should be played next.
Being 'off the green' doesn't matter a jot, and many players still think that being off the green entitles you to play first.

Please send me your views.
Cheers,
Adam W

·
Administrator
112 Posts
Depends. Offically, wait your turn-golf etiquette (closest marks, furthest strikes first) BUT it's not like you're playing for millions of $$ here. With super slow players these days and rounds taking 5-6 hr (totally unacceptable), just agree before hand that tap in's, etc is the "rule of the day". IMO.

You'll see the pro's doing 'tap in's' because in all likelihood it's understood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed.
However this is a contentious argument and I am determined to get the ruling correct to shut up the fellow who is adamant he is correct.

·
Administrator
112 Posts
In an aside, here's some interesting reading about etiquette

·
Administrator
112 Posts
Being 'off the green' doesn't matter a jot, and many players still think that being off the green entitles you to play first.
And yes, it DOES matter IMO.

In competition, it is a little more formal than that, since the order of play could help a player determine strategy. Rule 6.4 discusses how the order of play is determined and the differences in Stroke Play and Match Play. The short version is that the hole is started by whoever played the last hole best – meaning lowest score has the honor (fancy word for going first on the tee). After the initial shots, the ball farthest from the hole plays first, regardless of whether the ball is on the green or not.

Now, you can come up with umpteen sources that say this BUT I doubt he can even come up with one that supports his view.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts