Golf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to purchase new irons for the first time in about 5 years. I have narrowed by choices down to the Mizuno JPX EZ and the TaylorMade RSi 1. Looking for some feedback from anyone who is currently using either of those irons????????? Are the RSi irons really as forgiving as advertised??????

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum Clowman...

I happen to be a big Mizuno fan and while I don't play the EZ, I have hit them a lot during fitting sessions. I currently use the JPX825 irons and I spent a lot of time with the EZ set trying to figure out whether there was any added help or advantage with the EZ.

The Mizuno cast clubs feel a lot softer than most other brands. I'd go so far as to tell you my 825 irons are soft enough that a lot of people might mistake them for forged.

If you look in the big monthly golf magazines for their club tests, look at the way they express a pro and con on each iron. The key element is the con. When they really can't find something bad to say about a club, it's pretty obvious.

In the case of the EZ irons, (going back when they were introduced a couple years ago), the comment had to be based on opinions of the best players among the testers, saying the EZ went too straight. They had to include a con to be fair to all the other sets in the test, but what they were saying was, there's nothing wrong with this club for the person who needs game improvement.

For a player with a low handicap who is actually capable of working the ball either way, these are not irons any of them would consider. Otherwise, the major game improvement design of the EZ irons is right up the alley for the needs of players like us who are thrilled to hit the ball straight.

As far as finding a set, they are still a running model, so used sets hold their value very well. You might also consider the JPX825 irons like mine. Having been replaced with the new JPX850 model, the 825 is a bit easier on the wallet to buy used.

Check out eBay or places like Callaway Preowned in the area where they sell other brands. Callaway Preowned also takes trade ins, so your old set will be worth a little bit of money against whatever you buy if you get it there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts