Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Refiner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
out of those i said medicus but i would really say neither it costs about 80-100$ i think you could get 1-2 golf lessons a persons swing is never perfect so i would buy yourself a couple lessons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, when you are beginning, you don't need any training clubs like the medicus, just a decent set of irons and a decent driver is sufficient, taking lessons is what will allow you to hit those clubs. When you are just starting out, taking a few lessons will definately improve you. From there, you can look at a pro's swing and try and model yours off of it. One of the best things that can help is understanding the physics and science behind the swing. Find a pro's swing you like, than try and mimic it with the help of a mirror, breakdown there swing and make it your own. That's what really helped me when i began.

·
Registered
90 Posts
bradyfan123 said:
I'm a beginner and I was wondering which one you guys would recommend..thanks for any opinions and votes.
Allow me to digress: Lessons are definitely better. No one can teach his or herself the correct swing plane or nuiances regarding the golf swing. You can learn about grip, alignment and stance, or even strategies of what clubs to use, etc. There are hundreds of gadgets that work on every facet of the swing - none of which I would bring and use publicly (ie leg straps, clicking gloves, wrist straps, gloves, arm jackets, contraptions that go between the arms or the legs). The only two things that I seriously considered was the Medicus and the Momentus.

I recently started seriously trying to learn this game. Prior to it, I struggled everywhere (tee, fairway, sand). I used to hit the driver, then 5W, then 7W and rarely hit any irons, except for chipping.

This year, I took a lesson, finally. A real lesson starting from square one: Grip, alignment, stance, swing plane. It really helped. Through that basic lesson, I started to hit the PW. That's it. I did it until I hit it consistently straight at a reasonable distance. Following that I started other clubs in the bag and worked all the way down to the 3i. Hitting down on a ball is not an easy thing to learn when one has been 'sweeping' everything with a wood.

Someone gave me their Medicus 5 iron and things clicked. I realized exactly what I was doing wrong. If your swing plane is incorrect, if your tempo is too fast, or if you shift your weight incorrectly, this will hinge. I tried it with the one plane and the two plane swing. For some reason, I am hitting 10 yards longer using the one plane swing - probably due to it feeling more natural for my body. I gained more confidence and am hitting the irons pretty well for my level. It still takes work to get the 4i and 3i to fly without a slice. I resorted to the Hybrids to replace them.

As for the driver, I hit it well when I first demoed it. Nothing but straight shots. All was good. Then the honeymoon ended and something happened to my set up. I was pulling, hooking or even duck hooking the driver. I put it back into the bag and used the 3W for the past 2 weeks (5-6 rounds) and have hit it pretty accurately (less sidespin).

I still look at that driver. I use it only once in my home course where the fairway is actually safe enough to use it (wide fairway and sparse trees). In most cases, the 3W or 5W is being used to stay safe. In fact, I am playing tomorrow and Monday. I am tempted to use that thing. Went to the store and grabbed the Medicus driver. I did some practice swings (about 20) and was realizing my tempo was screwing everything up. I find this Medicus line to be very helpful if it's used in conjunction with some lessons.
--
Now, in reference to your question. I have no experience with the Refiner, which I was tempted to get given its price (89 USD for the driver versus 160 USD + S/H for the Medicus driver). Mechanically this 'clone' should be equivalent. I don't know about its durability.

The Medicus iron I have is over 10 years old and other than the fact that the head is scratched from the prior owner. The thing most likely to break down is the hinge assembly. This Medicus has last through shear torture and it still works well.

I would side with the Medicus.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the Medicus 5 iron. I think they both do the same thing (never tried the refiner), but I do think the Medicus was the best swing aid I cold have bought. It has really helped me groove a consistant swing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts