• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 756 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I just thought I'd start a new topic of rule of the week I will try to make sure I put a new one up every week. Enjoy

Question: "Do I need to mark the original position of my ball before taking relief from a situation under the Rules?"

Answer: "No. It is always advisable to mark the original position of the ball when taking relief, but there is no obligation on the player to do so."

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great idea! Rules are always useful. Rules keep you from being penalized for ignorance and help you maintain full awareness of the legality of your competitor's actions.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi all I just thought I'd start a new topic of rule of the week I will try to make sure I put a new one up every week. Enjoy

Question: "Do I need to mark the original position of my ball before taking relief from a situation under the Rules?"

Answer: "No. It is always advisable to mark the original position of the ball when taking relief, but there is no obligation on the player to do so."
Just to add a bit of discussion to this...

1. Can anyone state why it might be advisable to mark before lifting the ball from it's original lie?

2. Are there any other possibilities that you should take into consideration before lifting the ball?

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts

1. Can anyone state why it might be advisable to mark before lifting the ball from it's original lie?

2. Are there any other possibilities that you should take into consideration before lifting the ball?
1.In another players lie

2. ground under repair

:confused:My best guesses

good guestions

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts

1.In another players lie

2. ground under repair

good guestions

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
1.In another players lie

2. ground under repair

good guestions
1. If your ball interferes with another player's ball you wouldn't be taking relief, you be marking and lifting to give him relief, and then in that case you would have to mark so that you could replace your ball. But there is one really good reason for marking your ball before you lift it when you are taking relief, and it can be necessary whether you are getting free relief or taking a penalty drop. Still looking for that one.

2. I was looking for some possible consequences of lifting your ball prematurely when taking free relief, not just the situation.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
1. If your ball interferes with another player's ball you wouldn't be taking relief, you be marking and lifting to give him relief, and then in that case you would have to mark so that you could replace your ball. But there is one really good reason for marking your ball before you lift it when you are taking relief, and it can be necessary whether you are getting free relief or taking a penalty drop. Still looking for that one.

2. I was looking for some possible consequences of lifting your ball prematurely when taking free relief, not just the situation.
Beats the PUTTs out of me then.

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

It might be adviseable to mark your ball before lifting it just in case you have mistaking thought that you are in a relief zone when you may not be. This is just a thought I am not sure about it though

·
Registered
502 Posts
You should mark the original position of the ball to insure you replace it Exactly where you lifted it from
You should also take into consideration how far down in the rough it is, and any other features of the lie, not just the position. as in lifting to identify the ball, it must be replaced exactly in the way it was

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Stevel: Rule 20 gives me the impression you can mark the ball any time or if a ball interfers in a stance or swing. what do you think?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yes, but you must replace it exactly as it was (play with some guys, and magically the ball is now sitting up lol)

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, but you must replace it exactly as it was (play with some guys, and magically the ball is now sitting up lol)

How did you figuare out my magic trick?:confused:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Stevel: Rule 20 gives me the impression you can mark the ball any time or if a ball interfers in a stance or swing. what do you think?
The answer to this is no. Through the green you can mark and lift only if requested to by your opponent or fellow competitor if he feels that your ball will interfere with his swing, but it must be his choice, not yours. If you do so you are not allowed to clean your ball.

On the putting green it is your right to mark and lift your ball, and it has become almost automatic for most players to do so. In this case you can clean it.

For the other questions I posed:

1. When taking relief it is advisable to mark when there might be some doubt as to where the nearest point of relief is located, thus requiring measurement to correctly determine it. You can't measure if you don't know exactly where the ball was. This is also one good reason for my 2nd question.

2. You never want to lift your ball in a relief situation until you are certain that you will be taking relief. If you lift your ball, then realize that your drop point would be in a bush or nearly unplayable rough, you will incur a penalty stroke if you decide to replace it and play from where it originally lay. Once you lift your ball to take relief, you are obligated to follow through or take the penalty under Rule 18 for moving your ball in a manner not allowed under the rules. Even if you mark the location, you still incur the penalty. For this reason, I never touch my ball until I've examined all the options and made certain that I will take relief. I usually mark the NPR, measure my clublength, then I when I know exactly where I'll be dropping I retrieve my ball. I've played many times from such a situation (from a cart path or GUR) because the relief point was much worse than the original lie. Keep in mind that you must not substitute another ball when following this procedure unless the original ball is not recoverable. Doing so will incur a 2 stroke penalty.

It pays to have a good understanding of relief procedures... taking "free" relief can be costly if done incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
The answer to this is no. Through the green you can mark and lift only if requested to by your opponent or fellow competitor if he feels that your ball will interfere with his swing, but it must be his choice, not yours. If you do so you are not allowed to clean your ball.

On the putting green it is your right to mark and lift your ball, and it has become almost automatic for most players to do so. In this case you can clean it.

For the other questions I posed:

1. When taking relief it is advisable to mark when there might be some doubt as to where the nearest point of relief is located, thus requiring measurement to correctly determine it. You can't measure if you don't know exactly where the ball was. This is also one good reason for my 2nd question.

2. You never want to lift your ball in a relief situation until you are certain that you will be taking relief. If you lift your ball, then realize that your drop point would be in a bush or nearly unplayable rough, you will incur a penalty stroke if you decide to replace it and play from where it originally lay. Once you lift your ball to take relief, you are obligated to follow through or take the penalty under Rule 18 for moving your ball in a manner not allowed under the rules. Even if you mark the location, you still incur the penalty. For this reason, I never touch my ball until I've examined all the options and made certain that I will take relief. I usually mark the NPR, measure my clublength, then I when I know exactly where I'll be dropping I retrieve my ball. I've played many times from such a situation (from a cart path or GUR) because the relief point was much worse than the original lie. Keep in mind that you must not substitute another ball when following this procedure unless the original ball is not recoverable. Doing so will incur a 2 stroke penalty.

It pays to have a good understanding of relief procedures... taking "free" relief can be costly if done incorrectly.
Rick I surrender :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the rule fo this week.

Question: "My ball lies just off the putting green. Can I repair a ball mark which is on the putting green?"

Answer: "Yes."

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Here is the rule fo this week.

Question: "My ball lies just off the putting green. Can I repair a ball mark which is on the putting green?"

Answer: "Yes."
Can you repair one that is on the fringe between your ball and the hole? :confused:

Careful... there is a trick to this one. ;)

1 - 20 of 756 Posts