Votes: 35 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
741 - 756 of 756 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well, it's official. The anchored stroke is going the way of the dodo bird. As of January 1, 2016, no more anchored putting.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Marking the Ball

clarify 20-1 the rule states behind the ball and I heard this during an LPGA (junior) golf class.

if the hole is north the marker has to be placed south on the ball. what's wrong with north east and west as long as the ball is placed in the same spot

·
Registered
86 Posts
California Golf

Great idea! Rules are always useful. Rules keep you from being penalized for ignorance and help you maintain full awareness of the legality of your competitor's actions.
Agree! Rules are very useful.it makes the game more exciting and deliverable. :)

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I learned about an interesting rule having to do with the design of golf clubs, something comes into play mostly with putters. I think this is just bizarre.

If a putter shaft is bent 2 ways, for example, with an offset and downwards to create the lie of the club, both bends have to be equal to each other. Seems pretty dumb to me, something someone dreamed up for no good reason I can fathom.

I have a Scotty Cameron Squarebock putter I got cheap on sale, a used club in like new condition. It sat pretty upright, so I heated the shaft where it bent and made the bend slightly more flat. Playing with it yesterday, the Assistant Pro noticed the discoloration on the shaft. I hadn't bothered with jeweler's rouge to polish it off, waiting until I was perfectly happy with how it sat.

Somehow, he knew about this rule and showed it to me in a book back in the proshop.

Can anyone tell me why this rule is important enough to exist?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My guess would be that they had to set a limit somewhere, so that's what was settled on. The rules for putters is already much more flexible than for other clubs, and my guess is that at some point someone went overboard in a design, so they set a limit on it. That is how most of the club restrictions have come about.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Probably right. As my brother-in-law says, "There's lures that catch fish and there's lures that catch fishermen." God knows I've seen some weird looking putters and I'll admit to having had one or two.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Rule 17

I ran into a situation and I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong on when to pull the pin. The guy I was playing with chipped on to the green and while the ball was still rolling I pulled the pin. Now based on my understanding of rule 17 I was right and wrong. so, when should you pull the pin when tending?

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
It sounds like we need a bit more information.

Did he ask you to tend the pin? In that case, regardless where he makes the shot from, you are obligated to remove the pin.

If he didn't ask you to tend it, but you did and pulled it, I am guessing you shouldn't have.

Was this a match and was he your partner or your opponent?

Inquiring minds want to know. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
rule 17

It sounds like we need a bit more information.

Did he ask you to tend the pin? In that case, regardless where he makes the shot from, you are obligated to remove the pin.

If he didn't ask you to tend it, but you did and pulled it, I am guessing you shouldn't have.

Was this a match and was he your partner or your opponent?

Inquiring minds want to know. :dunno:

Dennis: It was just two of us, friendly game, and he was chipping on to the green. I just pulled the pin without his permission while the ball was in motion it wasn't going into the hole. yes, I violated the doctors orders and played. now I'm paying the price. My shoulders hurt like a SOB.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Maybe Rick will chime in here with a correct answer, but if it was just you and a buddy playing for fun, not a match, it sounds like no harm, no foul. It your buddy's ball wasn't going near the hole, you didn't actually affect his score. Sure, maybe you should have waited until his ball stopped, but it just doesn't sound so terrible to me.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Maybe Rick will chime in here with a correct answer, but if it was just you and a buddy playing for fun, not a match, it sounds like no harm, no foul. It your buddy's ball wasn't going near the hole, you didn't actually affect his score. Sure, maybe you should have waited until his ball stopped, but it just doesn't sound so terrible to me.
I've got to review the rule again and decisions, unless Rick can simplify my action on the green. Rick is my mentor, I'm just a lousy student.:D

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I ran into a situation and I'm not sure if I'm right or wrong on when to pull the pin. The guy I was playing with chipped on to the green and while the ball was still rolling I pulled the pin. Now based on my understanding of rule 17 I was right and wrong. so, when should you pull the pin when tending?
Sorry to be so late with this, I must have missed it.

If you are tending the flagstick with the player's knowledge and authority, then you are required to remove it before the ball strikes it. This is true no matter where the player is playing from.

You are not to attend the flagstick without the player's authorization. If the player can see you, and you are standing near the hole (this usually means within arm's reach), then you are deemed to be attending the flagstick with his authorization, even if the player has not asked you to do so. I usually ask if he wants it attended to be sure that we are both on the same page. If he says no, then I walk away so that it can't be misinterpreted.

If you are not attending the flagstick, you may not walk over and remove it when the ball is moving (2 stroke penalty on you). This is true even if the stroke is made on the putting green. The only exception to this is if the flagstick has been removed and is lying on the green unattended. It may then be moved even while the ball is in motion.

If the ball strikes the flagstick from a stroke on the putting green, whether attended or not, the 2 stroke penalty is on the player, even if the person attending the flagstick fails to remove it. If the ball strikes any attended (and authorized) flagstick or the person attending it, the player is penalized 2 strokes. (make sure that you have confidence that the person you have authorized to attend it will remove it in a timely manner)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just read on an informative guide about "golf rules" that it's not necessary to mark the original position of the ball when taking relief, but there is no obligation on the player to do so.

741 - 756 of 756 Posts