Golf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Taylormade R580XD/ Tommy Armour Concept Tour 400cc (please read)

Thinking of trying this club out its on sale at sports authority... I liked the Taylormade 360 Ti which I had for a couple of weeks but gave it to my cousin. Now thinking of trying R580xd... any opinions comments are welcomed.

Any suggestions on shaft... they have the M.A.S.2 and Fujikura shafts... not sure about flex either... i was going to sports authority would they be able to say what would be best?

So I went to go try out the Taylormade R580xd in Daytona Beach Florida sports authortiy. Well the sales price is only on line and they didnt even have the facility to hit the balls. So I am bummed and I was going to play today/Saturday with no driver and I havent gotten comfortable with my hybrid 3 to really drive with it.

Updated Saturday
Well the guy I was going to play with says dont worry I have an extra driver brand new. So this guy golfs 4 times a week so I figure I am going to get a Hot driver. He shows up with this Ram Concept Tour 400cc. Its brand new still wrapped. So I'm saying to myself I'll hit this for today but once I get back to NY I am getting a brand new driver the R580XD.

Well I take a wack at it just mess up thing is a little heavy. I get to the next hole and b00ooommm! I hit this thing 250 right down the pike! I am like wtf:dunno: So I am still skeptical like they say the sun shines a dogs butt once a day (or something to that affect). Well I get to the next whole b00oommm this thing is 275 out... Now the guy am playing with is like okay... He is using the Ping G5 ropping them but I am somewhat close....

I played with this guy last week in Maryland with a Ram driver hitting 250 and better. So now I am home and I look up this thing on line and its the Tommy Armour Ram 400 cc Concept Tour Driver 10 degree regular
This driver is $20 at rockbottomgolf....

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I had one of the R580XD drivers and it was fine, but I didn't like the super deep face all that much. I'm probably in a very small minority about that.

I picked up an R540XD through ebay and like the shallower face better. I'm going to replace the regular shaft with a still shaft to suit my swing, but for how I prefer to handle a driver and occasionally hit it off the ground, the 540 model is better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i am interested in getting one of these for my birthday. i am currently using a texan classic driver 450cc. it is my stock driver from my beginner pack and ive gotten better. want to get a new driver and this one is cheap. is this good to get it for an intermediate player. i shoot high 80's

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I found another r540XD driver on ebay cheaper than I could replace the shaft in my original one, so I gave it to a buddy of mine who just kills the ball with that regular shaft.

The stiff shaft is some Aldila NV 65-350... apparently a 350 tip instead of the usual 335. I don't know what the characteristics of this shaft are, mostly because I didn't put too many good swings on it last week, but when I tried to smooth one, it flew really well. Trying to kill it was like swinging a Volkswagon on a string. I was all over the place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts