Golf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you managed to try out the R7 425 in standard and the TP style?

Just wondering if anyone has actually felt the difference between the two as there is a hell of a lot of difference in the price.

In the UK the R7 425 comes out at £260 odd, and the TP version at nearly £500.

As far as I can gather there is a slightly different shaft configuration and a few more weights to alter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tried the R7 425 on Tuesday and i hit it really low

with my Ping I used to boom everything really high

but now ive found a happy medium in the 460

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I seem to hit almost anything the same height, regardless of face loft.

When I move around the weights into my r7 Quad, the trajectory doesn't seem to change. The screw in weights do make a difference to me when I set them for max fade and actually set up to fade the ball, but I can still turn over the club and hit some impressive duck hooks with the weights set for max fade.

For the time being, my day to day driver is still a Callaway, but I'm going to try learning to use this r7. When I used it yesterday and did hit a few good drives in the fairway, I got the feeling I am longer with it than the Callaways I have, but I don't need more distance if it costs me accuracy.

When I hit the r7 on the face, it felt really good and the sound is actually a bit more like wood than metal.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Update...

I've set the weights in the r7 Quad to neutral with the heavy weights at the back, which is supposed to give me a higher trajectory, though I don't notice a difference. What I do notice is that I seem to be able to control this club much better now and with no loss in distance. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty convinced I'm about 10 yards longer with it than my Callaway drivers or my r540XD, but THAT is still a great club too.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the end, it was a case of better the devil you know and I stuck with Titleist - 905R. So far it has been ok, just have some issues with my swing in general that need ironing out.

Sounds like you have that club under control Dennis :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Taylor Made R7 425 it's all about the shaft!

I have had each generation of the R7. You are correct, it's all about the shaft. The TP shaft has a different kick point and is stiffer.

I switched from the TP Fujikura Speeder shaft to the "TaylorMade RE*AX shaft" and added 20 plus yards. Ball flight is now perfect for my swing speed and path using 9.5 degree loft.

Love this club! :thumbsup:

JJ
Atlantic City Golf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts