Golf Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!! im new to this whole forumming site, i registered 'cos im in desperate need of advice from you guys.

im 17 yrs old and play off 8 and i was just wondering what driver you would suggest me getting!

im open to all makes and ideas really.

cheers ppl

dave!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi,

What are your swing characteristics?

Do you fire the ball miles, or are you a straight and steady player?

What are you looking for in a driver?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi fitz uk,

well when im swinging well and on the top of my game im often both (without sounding big headed lol) but on bad-days when im not swinging so well then i suppose id have to say i lose my accuracy.

i do however want a beast of a driver as my next.

iv previously owned a Callaway Steelhead and a Cobra 440SZ (which recently had its shaft broken) hence the need for a new driver.

cheers

dave!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Do you have a fast swing speed?

Something I went through (about 2 callaways) as the shafts kept shattering under too much torque.

I have a fast swing, and needed a club that would compliment it and harness some of the power.

From a personall point of view, I would say look at a driver similar spec to mine, Titleist 905R, speeder shaft S flex.

Alternatively, I quite like the Sasquatch Nike driver.

Best thing would be to go to a driving range that have these clubs for you to try and see which driver suits you best.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you have access to a ProShop/Golf Shop where you can go and hit several different brand drivers? I play with a TaylorMade r7 460 but I hit a Cobra at Edwin Watts that I liked very much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, cheers divothead.

i do have acces to a number of golf shops quite local to where i live (yorkshire).

i am keen on a number of drivers and won't really rule any out until i have hit some balls with a few.

i have however, been looking very closely at the Titleist 905R and the Nike Sasquatch...Other drivers i have showed an interest in are the Taylormade r7 460 that you own! and the latest Callaway ERC Fusion.

do any of you users have msn so we can chat in more detail rather than use this facility??

cheers, dave!.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Is the erc fusion the carbon one?

If so the sound would put me off that, lol, its of little consequence but the sound blows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah thats right fitz. although i love anything with originality.

(yes) even if it sounds like a baked bean can! haha :)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Guy that plays in our group quite regularly uses one of those.

If I'm not watching his shot and I listen to the impact, I would swear that he has topped it! The sound is quite...unique.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wish I could go back to the '20's and '30's and listen to the sounds of golf during that era. What with the hickory shafts and the leather grips. All the woods were really wood. And I am sure the golf balls made a completely different sound. Maybe the sound of the ball going in the cup might still be the same.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Among the drivers others have mentioned you might want to look at the Ping G5, for many mid-handicappers such as yourself it is really good, two of my friends, an 8 and a 10 hav the G5 and love it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to a golf shop where you can get on a launch monitor.......they'll check your swing speed and a few different things and recommend a few different shafts. Pretty much all the high end drivers(Callaway, Ping, Titleist, etc.) are close in quality, so you just need to find one of them that sets up to your eye. The most important thing for you to do is get the right shaft to suit your swing. I did the launch monitor a couple weeks back and went from a firm flex to a stiff Proforce V2 and it was instantly noticeable in my driving. About 20 yards longer and straight up the pipe............

·
Registered
5 Posts
yea u can get a used callaway 454 with a descent shaft for 100 bucks or less, i got mine for 100 with NO marks at an edwin watts with a graffoly blue which i took out and got a graffoly prolaunch blue custom fit for me, altogether 200 bucks and i love it!

·
Registered
464 Posts
A good cheap driver is the RAM FX9 that feels nice and goes straight with a forgiving head.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Police said:
A good cheap driver is the RAM FX9 that feels nice and goes straight with a forgiving head.

A friend of mine uses this driver, even though he is only a relatively new golfer, he hits the ball really well off the tee with this.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I dont think that RAM get the credit they deserve they are a fairly good make and sell many clubs a year...they even used to be on tour they used to sponser tom watson in the 70s...give them credit lol :laugh:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Ben Hogan drivers are good.

·
Registered
800 Posts
You will be better off spending a few hours at your biggest golf store, taking as much time as you can hitting each one.

Even though there are loads of fantastic drivers out there, not all of them will suit you and your swing characteristics.

Its probably the most expensive single club in the bag, you might as well try a few before parting with your cash.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.