Golf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What got you started in Golf?

I got into golf almost accidently. There was a girl I liked that played for my junior high school team. I joined hoping to get closer to her, but instead, I had a natural knack for the game and quickly became rivals with her...

We became really good friends, but never nothing more. Shame...but at least I developed a new love. Golf :)

What's your story?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dad took it up a few years ago and took me along with him a couple of times. I've played a little on and off since then. I played my first full 18 holes on a field trip during my last year of high school.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was on holiday in great yarmouth and my dad took me to a local pitch and putt, i nearly went round in par so my dad took me to the local council course and same again, after that i was hooked and pushing my dad all the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got into it when the family tournament came around and i wanted to get involved. I cant say i started as good as you guys but i held my own and got bettter.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well, my grandparents took it up shortly before my dad was born, he got hooked, so I've been swinging plastic clubs since I was 2!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Everyone says your talent hides when you don't know it. Well, it's true. A long time ago, my brother and his friend were going to the driving range. I begged and pleaded to go, so he finally took me.

Well, it was my turn and I took the driver and setup. They helped me get into position, and *WHAM* I hit it farther than my brother and his friend.

That is what got me started.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Like some other members at this board I began playing golf to follow my family. My dad started playing two years before I did and in an attempt to spend more time with him I took it up as well.

I enjoyed playing and the rest is history. I play every few weeks in the summer these days. Usually with friends but sometimes with my dad and his friends as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It all started when I was 12. I got that golf bag full of clubs and balls for christmas. I haven't stopped playing since, and have also got my family to join me during course plays. Of course I beat them all. :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good greif. It seems like everyone started out as a great player. I guess its just something you have to be born with, I just learned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
BigL said:
Good greif. It seems like everyone started out as a great player. I guess its just something you have to be born with, I just learned.
More info? Who inspired you to learn? Did you decide to take an easy extra curricular activity in high school? More info please. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
There's something about holding a metal stick in your head and whacking the crap out of something without penalty...LOL that's what got me started...Lack of interest in jail time...of course Im j/k.

I always wanted to learn how to play but when you live in a farm community with like 1 course in 250 miles your SOL. I moved to Florida in '95 and lately I have been lucky to have time to learn alot. With my thriving internet business i have loads of time to use up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My dad is what got me into golf. When I was a kid he would always go the course. At first I just went with him to keep him company but then he taught me and Ive been playing since.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What got me started was my school.

I had always wanted to be part of a school team or sport in some way. But I am not big enough to play football or talented enough to play basketball. So I tried out for the golf team.

Wasn't good enough to get on the team but liked the game. So I have played ever since!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My dad took me out when I was little. Got me my first set of clubs and sent me on my way. I then took some lessons and joined a team, only playing nine and not playing well.:)

After that I just began to play recreationally and have not stopped since.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As young kids my brother and I would tag along with my dad and uncle when ever they went golfing and we'd be their caddy's. We used to have so much fun just carrying around their golf bags all day, but then after about a year of this, and after playing around with the clubs at home carrying around someone elses equipment just wasn't enough. We had to get out there and show them that we to could swing a iron rod at a small, white ball and hope it landed close to a hole in the ground. After that the urge to play golf became irresistible we begged are dad to take us golfing. And ever since then we've been playing golf regularly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Caddying is such a great job. I was a caddy when i was a kid. Its good because it brings in good money and you learn about the game.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds cliche, but really I saw Tiger Woods doing so well, and would never have watched golf without his great play. Once I saw that I jumped at every chance I had to learn, and have since been playing quite a bit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think a lot of people have already mentioned this, but I started due to my family playing a lot. Whenever my uncle would come over he would show off his new clubs and take me to pro shops and I just got into it.

And I am glad I did. Golf is a great way to relax.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Alot of my friends played golf reguarly and I felt a little left out because I couldn't play, I took a few lessons and visited a driving range and was able to play!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts