Golf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am new to golf so need an easy to hit driver as i usualy slice my dads 1986 wooden driver! either going to go second hand, so i could get a srixon xx10 for £50 (about $80 i think), srixon w-403 for £65 or a talor made burner 860 for £55 (or varies other callaway big berthas from 2004) or i could get a new one like an MD black hawk ti driver, adams GT2, masters ti driver, mcgreggor m42 v-foil etc. Whats the best option? all my other clubs are adams GT2s (10 irons and 2 woods)

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you're new to the game, I'd normally suggest buying a good second-hand driver. You may find you don't continue on playing and at least then you won't have invested a lot of money in a new driver.

However, it sounds as if you are already committed to playing, so it makes more sense to me for you to invest in a brand-spanking-new driver that is the right size, length, etc. for you. The only way to really know is to try out a few swings with them (of course without a ball if you're in a store) and see how they feel for you. A driver is a very personal thing - what one person thinks is light and fits them perfectly, another person things has an awkward grip ...

·
Registered
42 Posts
wait till you're a better golfer before you put down a mint on a brand new driver. you can buy used 2005 models for half the sticker price. or go to a golf store and you can probably buy 2004/2005 models brand new for half the price.

the technology has not changed that much in the past 2 years to affect a new golfer.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Look at the loft and the shaft strength. If you have a rythmic / slow - medium swing, pick a regular flex shaft. If you have a fast / power driven swing look for a stiffer shaft.

Loft wise for your first driver, Id stick with 10 deg or around that mark. No point in you getting a 8 deg driver and wishing you had never bothered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts