Golf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your clubhead speed?

Mine's 113-117mph avg and around 120-124mph when i really go after it.
My ball speed with the driver is typically between 160-175mph.

If youve ever been fitted on a launch monitor you probably know what your speed is.

·
Registered
316 Posts
im not a big hitter off the tee so i have to depend on 175 and in which is like a 5 iron in

·
Registered
316 Posts
i dont know my club head speed

i was saying i cant hit far with my driver so i depend on 175 yards and in which is a 5 iron and lower

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I've never been measured on a launch monitor, but I want to check out the new Edwin Watts store that just opened near me, so maybe this week, I'll grab a few things I need and see if they have one to measure me.

Typically, I'll take the club back about 3/4's at the longest, (I'm 57 and just retuning to the game, so I'm tight), and hit a driver about 260. I'll hit 8 iron from 150... Does that give any indication of what I should expect?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
probably between 90 and 100 mph with the driver

·
Registered
33 Posts
im at 159 ball speed. Last time I got my clubhead speed checked I was around 106-110.

·
Registered
22 Posts
90-100 mph

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Does the swing speed meter on that Swing Stick gadget VJ advertises really work?

·
Registered
800 Posts
There is a definate problem chasing swing speed.

It will become an obsession. If you let it all you will do is look for a faster and faster swing, before you know it you will be booming the ball miles but in the wrong direction.

Everyone has their own natural swing speed and tempo, use that - forget what the speed is.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I think swing speed is only relevent to the point that you maintain your balance. I could probably swing as fast as Tiger, but I'd fall down a lot, not to mention surgery the next day to put my shoulders back up there next to my head and all that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I average 115 with driver, and the highest ive gotten with driver is 132.

I never swing hard though, ive realized how much smarter it is to just swing naturally...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was trying a few drivers out today and the simulator said mine was around 100 mph. I find no obsession with the fact of club head speed, I mostly swing slow to get a nice rythym. cool to get an idea though. C/C

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine is 98 on average. When I overswing I tend to leave the face open and that just creates other problems. I was on the launch monitor at Golf Galaxy for over an hour one day as it was slow and the guy wanted something to do. So we tried all kinds of things, different shaft flex, various lofts, etc. My deviation and ball spin with the driver was by far the most consistant and best at my normal swing, and my distance was within a few yards of when I did cut er' loose.

Having the right loft, shaft flex, and a nice tempo will do more for you than grip'n it and rip'n it.

Buck

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Just last Wednesday, I went to a Golfsmith store with a friend who was looking for a new driver. The store was dead, so they let us hit balls for a while on their computerized devices. It said my swing speed was generally between 95-100 mph, but the time I tried to snap my wrists and got to 100 mph, the flight path was erratic and the ball speed wasn't any better than what I did comfortably, in balance, at 95.

What was interesting to find is that the little meter on my Swing Stik is actually pretty accurate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I found a device today at the store called the speed stick, they come in different lengths and are a little weighted. So you swing it like a club and it measures the speed of the swing, I was around 80 on my irons and 90 on the driver. Neat little device but its $100 for eack stick, In my opinion I would rather spend that on rounds or gear. C/C

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
There is a definate problem chasing swing speed.

It will become an obsession. If you let it all you will do is look for a faster and faster swing, before you know it you will be booming the ball miles but in the wrong direction.

Everyone has their own natural swing speed and tempo, use that - forget what the speed is.
I agree with you. I got so concerned about hitting the ball 300yrds that hitting the ball straight was a problem, so I learned how to hit the ball. Now my distance is much improved and I'm in the middle in the direction I want the ball to go. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I found a device today at the store called the speed stick, they come in different lengths and are a little weighted. So you swing it like a club and it measures the speed of the swing, I was around 80 on my irons and 90 on the driver. Neat little device but its $100 for eack stick, In my opinion I would rather spend that on rounds or gear. C/C
I found the weighted club a better device to improve club speed.

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
to tell the turth I'm not all that worried about how fast i swing the club as long as my tempo is consistant and I'm hitting the ball roughly where i want it that keeps me happy!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts