1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
what exactly are 'crates'

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's the same principle which is used with Frisbees. The little dimples (I think he may have been trying to say craters????) produce lift much like a Frisbee and keep your ball air borne longer.:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, reins, they are the 'craters' that are in the ball, sort of little dimples, yes, that's it, oh, is that the purpose of that, to keep your ball air borne longer?

·
Registered
42 Posts
geline said:
Thanks, reins, they are the 'craters' that are in the ball, sort of little dimples, yes, that's it, oh, is that the purpose of that, to keep your ball air borne longer?

you're a moderator of a golf forum and you honestly didn't know that?!?!? :eek:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't think it has as much to do with lift as much as it does aerodynamics. The dimples reduce the drag on a golf ball by adding more air pressure behind the golf ball than in front of it. The higher levels of pressure behind the golf balls force them to go far distances. Lift is taken care of by the loft of the club...9 iron will go higher than a 3 iron...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I always thought it helped slow down your balls roll. Gave it something to stop and stand up on, but thanks for clearing this up guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Homeless said:
I don't think it has as much to do with lift as much as it does aerodynamics. The dimples reduce the drag on a golf ball by adding more air pressure behind the golf ball than in front of it. The higher levels of pressure behind the golf balls force them to go far distances. Lift is taken care of by the loft of the club...9 iron will go higher than a 3 iron...
We were both going along the same lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_ball

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies and we all know that items are not just created and designed without a purpose. This thread is meant to gather all the ideas from the forum members. Sometimes we have to think out of the box and give others the chance to be able to participate because our ideas doesn't necessarily mean the ideas of others.
Your participation in this thread is greatly appreciated.

:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts