Golf Forum banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Cynthia, I taught my wife to golf, we play almost every weekend together (weather permitting)
<brag> she is the 2007 Ladies Club Champ at our country club /brag

·
Registered
7 Posts
A friend of mine, Joe Jahovits (a fictional character), asked me the other day, why do I chase that stupid white ball around? Why do I invest thousands of dollars, and countless hours chasing perfection? Why do I play golf?
This got me thinking, why do I play golf?
I play golf for the physical challenge. I get a great deal of satisfaction when the shot comes off as I planned; the hours of hard work pay off. I play because I don’t need to be a physically big man, or young man, or exceptionally fit man. I am not playing against my opponents, but rather against the course, the conditions, and myself. If I can beat those three I win, at least for today.
I play golf for the mental challenges. Am I mentally tough enough to deal with “the rub of the green” that may befall me, accept the challenges and move on? Am I mentally tough enough to deal with my own shortcomings, when faced with choices, and I choose the wrong shot. I play because it teaches me humility; one day I think I have it, only to find out the next day, it has me. I play for the satisfaction of those days when I can live up to my mental expectations, and maybe just for that day, over come the worst muscle in golf.
I play golf because it’s a gentleman’s sport. In golf, you actually root for the other guy. “Go in the hole.” Get through there.” “Nice shot!” You help your opponent look for his ball, tell him tough break when the putt doesn’t fall. You would never hear a quarterback tell the linebacker “Nice sack, you really nailed me.”
I play golf because of the etiquette of the sport, rake the traps, fix the ball marks, replace the divots, try and leave the course in better shape for the people behind you.
I play golf because of the integrity of the sport “My ball moved, I call a 2 stroke penalty on myself” In no other sport will a player do this, the basketball player doesn’t say, “I fouled him.” The pitcher doesn’t say, “No, that was a ball”
I play golf because in a lot of ways it emulates life. With all the successes and failures, trials and tribulations, ups and downs, along the way, it is the journey that is the important thing, and not the destination. It is how I deal with it, and not the outcome.
I play golf for the beauty of the surroundings, the manicured grass, the raked bunkers, the stately trees, the bushes and bramble, the wild life that I run across.
I play golf because of the people I meet, the grizzled old war veteran, the young college student, the mother of 3 young kids, the harried businessman, the retired schoolteacher, and all walks of life in between.
I taught my wife this magnificent game so she could know the joy I get from it, and we could share many quality hours together. And we do!

I hope you get the same joy from playing as I do. Feel free to share your thoughts
Steve
PS I'd like to thank my Dad for teaching me this game, as a young lad, and giving me a lifetime of enjoyment!
great! "I play golf because it’s a gentleman’s sport. "

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great post, steve1017! I play golf for fun and sometimes it helps forget my worries and release stress. Life has been so rough to me so I let it all out with each swing. After that, I would feel good and I even get to meet new friends in the course.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Good friends and fond memories

I play to remember the times I got to play with my parents, plus I'm hooked on the game. The forum is also a great place to share knowledge, debate and to have fun with the friends you make here. I am a little whacked out in my humor during the winter months or days that I can't play. So, I come up with short stupid stories about my friend down under. We've never met face to face but we have good fun bashing each other.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I play golf because I gain new friends (aside from having the health benefits). I can say that the Golf is very friendly game which gives players a chance to have a conversation and enjoy each others company while playing.

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
I think if you enjoy golf and your parents got you started, you give them credit. If you aren't enjoying it, maybe you blame them... I dunno...

In my case, I was about 5 or 6 years old when I started going to weekend children's clinics at Seneca Golf Course in Louisville, Kentucky. The pro at the time was a good friend of the family, a wonderful man named Joe Lally. Joe was very ahead of his time, (it was the mid 50s), in that he believed a child deserved to learn the game properly, starting with the rules and etiquette, then progressing to learn how to play and enjoy themselves. He made time for kids to be on the course and made recommendations to their parents how they could keep us learning and interested.

A lot of that was simply, take your children with you.

My mother played then. My father didn't start until late in life. Mom would get a pull cart so I could caddy for her and little by little, I learned how to use what I learned about my manners on the course because she made sure I didn't get in the way, make unnessary noise or offend her friends she played with.

When Joe saw I was there with her a couple afternoons a week, he cut down a 7 iron and gave it to me to carry in Mom's bag. When nobody would be held up, I was allowed to hit a ball here and there on the course. Later on, I got a little putter and that's when I realized THIS GAME IS HARD!!!

A good friend wanted to do what I was doing and his mother started taking him along. Then, I had a playing partner at the times us kids could be alone on the course. (Joe would send us out with one of the employed caddies to keep us out of trouble)

It's nearly 60 years later now and while I was never able to convince my children to be serious about the game, my 5 yr old grandson asked for and got golf clubs and lessons for Hanukkah. My daughter and her family live in Eagle Ridge, a very nice golf community in Gilroy, California. Little Zach has had his first lessons and I understand he wants to bring his clubs with him this Sunday when they come to visit for the holidays. Needless to say, I'm THRILLED.

I sometimes wonder how people my age got interested in t he game when as children, we were so stifled from anything other than being seen and not heard. I was one of the lucky few to have known someone like Joe Lally. Without him, I wonder if I would have taken up the game at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I play golf because i got to old for Hockey (field)
and as a shift worker it was a game that gave me exercise and i could go for a walk alone if i wish ,
although don;t think i have ever played 18 without meeting up with a stranger now friend .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I play golf thinking that I can get rich.. but realized that I am spending more money into the sports. I envisioned about the pro players that I will never be anywhere close to their status... next to impossible.. LOL Reality kicks in and I just play golf to have fun with friends and continue my daydreaming. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have met some of my nearest buddies from taking up golf. You invest around 4 time during a day so it's a great probability to meet new individuals and get to know them. Players are usually satisfied individuals and love to discuss their family and lifestyle. You'll fulfill a lot of exciting figures and individuals you wouldn't normally fulfill elsewhere in the world of lifestyle.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts