Golf Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honolulu's Michelle Wie will look back this week and wonder what might have been had she not double-bogeyed the 18th on Friday, especially after today's closing round of 7-under 64. Starting at the ninth, Wie propelled her strong finish by birdieing seven of 10 holes, including four of the final five.

Wie's four-day total of 16-under 268 left her tied for third with Seon Hwa Lee (67) and Song-Hee Kim (69) at the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic, trailing playoff winner Eunjung Yi (71) by only two shots. Yi beat Morgan Pressel (67) on the first playoff hole. It is the fifth top-10 finish of the year for Wie in 11 starts.

With the third-place finish, Wie earned $73,224 to run her season total to $425,184. She needed to win this week to earn a spot in the U.S. Women's Open.

"Today on the front nine I couldn't get anything going," Wie told ESPN after her round.

"The last nine something clicked. I thought I was on the edge, on the brink of playing really well. I still have a lot to learn. The next two weeks off, I'll practice a lot and work on my game. It still hasn't hit me yet (that she won't be playing in the U.S. Women's Open). It almost feels like the U.S. Women's Open isn't happening. I don't know how I will feel when it hits me."

Wie began the day innocently enough with one birdie over her first six holes before giving one back with a bogey at the par-5 seventh. She ended her front nine 1 under with a birdie at the ninth that began an incredible stretch as she birdied the first two on the back nine as well.

After a couple of routine pars at Nos. 12 and 13, Wie began another birdie binge at No. 14 with a chip-in from deep rough at the difficult par-3 that lasted until the 18th where she closed with a tap-in par. She shot a 31 on the back nine of the Highland Meadows Golf Club course in Sylvania, Ohio, en route to her best round of the year and on the LPGA Tour.

For the day, Wie hit seven of 14 fairways and 12 greens in regulation. She needed 32 putts and averaged 263.88 yards off the tee.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts