Golf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New balls please! As the World Cup grinds relentlessly on, marinated with the salty tears of millionaire players looking for someone to blame for the fact they can’t kick a ball straight, how refreshing to hear the plink-plonk of ball and racquet and the polite ripple of applause as yet another British player crashed out in the first round.
Yes, it’s Wimbledon. I know, I know, SW19 still retains the faint whiff of an old England, Bentleys and standards, boy, standards. There are times when I expect Bertie Wooster to burst from the stands being chased by a hatless policeman and an assorted number of double-barrelled bluebloods.
Meanwhile on Court #1, Miss Marple (played of course, by Margaret Rutherford) is sorting out a nasty case of a gentleman player poisoned by his own barley water....
Still, it’s always a fortnight to gladden the heart. In an ever changing world, Wimbledon, despite protestations to the contrary, remains much the same year after year: someone will grunt too much, an unseeded woman player will wear something ‘daring’, there will be much agonising about why there isn’t a champion among the British players, there will be endless camera shots of players girlfriends and minor royalty.
Oh, and somebody will mention the price of strawberries and cream, somebody will mention Virginia ‘Ginny’ Wade and Jubilee year. Sue Barker will be there, along with a “humorous” montage during an enforced break due to rain.
And above it all, the plumy ghostly vowels of the late, great Dan Maskell ‘Oh, I say!’……Bliss

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
I'm giving it a little atention did you see the game that was at like59-59 in the 5th set last night thats epic they will continue to play today.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't follow tennis that much , although I have a cousin who is a retired big time instructor of the sport. He is over there now in person watching the matches. Like weekly golf, I will catch bit's and pieces of of the televised matches. I did see some of that marathon match yesterday as I was checking in at the pro shop for my 2 pm round of golf. The counter guy had his flat screen tune in. I think it was 47/46 at that time. I don't remember who the two players involved were. My only thought was I hoped those were not going to be my 9 hole scores for the day.:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes ah' been watchin' mah' Serena destroy de opposishun. Serena be de best playa' eva' and all de rest suck big time

and whut about honey, do ya' wants' wanna dig some hold uh my big booty and slam dunk me?
Oh boy, she's losing what's left of her gray matter, and I don't mean your underwear, Denise.

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
all the Aussies are out now not that I thought the'd win it but it at least keeps it interesting we you have someone from your country in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts