Golf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are starting our spring clean up, and planting in our back yard. while raking, and re-seeding the grass, the two dogs we have decided to help out with some digging on their own. Well they found something, and for the life of us we could not figure out what it was. It had wood pieces in it, and what appeared to be some sort of hair. Out first thought was they had dug up an animal that someone might have buried an animal in a make shift casket or something. Problem is, we have owned this house for over 30 years. Then we thought perhaps when the house was built some worker might have buried something. Upon closer inspection, and a memory jog, we figured out what it was. Many, many years ago, when I was completely consumed with the game of golf, I was practicing everyday, and had made myself a hitting station in the back yard. One of the problems my wife had with my golf addiction was I was leaving big divot areas in the lawn. To get on her good side, I tried many different hitting surfaces. Since I needed something that resembled real turf, for a long time I would just purchase two, or three pieces of sod, and replace my divots with those. It worked, but it still left unsightly areas. I don't know what she expected. I was going to be a decent golfer. Not a gardener. At one point I hit up on this idea. It involved the bottom sweeping part of a push broom. The broom head. What I did was bury just the broom head with the bristles sticking up. Surprisingly it worked out quite well. I could hit balls off of simulated real turf, with no visible damage to the real grass. Even better was the broom head could with stand full swings, while allowing me to swing down, into the ball. One of the first important things I was told about the golf swing was to hit down on the ball. Especially with my irons. Since the bristles stayed at a consistent height, I could even mow over it with no problem. My training aid lasted quite a while, but eventually the wooden portion decayed enough to the point, that the bristles started falling out. The worse it became, the less I used it. Plus, I was losing interest in practicing that much any ways. Eventually the real grass grew over it, and it was forgotten.....until yesterday. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
that's a neat little story

please make it easier to read by putting in some space..

they make some nice prefab stuff these days but its always nice to hear a little old-school ingenuity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts